[Reports] Export course People list (including Teachers, TA, Support, etc.)

Problem statement:

There are times when we want to export all users enrolled in a course (everyone in the People) tab. For example, there may be a custom course that repeats each year with the same instructors (sometimes a large number of instructors). Currently, we need to keep a list of the login IDs for those instructors in a separate document so they can be re-added to each new version of the course. We'd like to be able to export the user list from the previous version of the course, sort by role type, and then re-add the instructors to the new course. There are also other use cases for exporting the entire course enrollment, not just the students (which can be done via Gradebook export).

Proposed solution:

Just as you can export the Gradebook to get a list of students in a course, we'd like an "Export Roster" button in the People tab to export a list of all users enrolled in the course and their corresponding role(s) and section affiliation(s) in the course. Ideally, there would be an option to export just specific sections or all sections in a course to allow flexibility for multiple use cases.

User role(s):

admin

Added to Theme

7 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

Mikee
Community Participant

Yes please.

Having the ability to export (and potentially re-import elsewhere to synchronise teaching and support staff involved) would be brilliant.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

anna_volkova
Community Participant
Problem statement:

We would like our users to be able to export a list of people in a course under the "People" link in the course. This export should include as many details as possible, for instance, users sections, their roles, groups and e-mail addresses. These lists could be very helpful to both teachers and university staff whenever they need to follow up with students outside of Canvas, conduct workshops, or set up new Canvas pages. This functionality exists to some extent in New Analytics, however it'd be more convenient and user-friendly if that feature was available directly from the "People" link in courses.

Proposed solution:

A solution would be to include a button from the "People" link in Canvas courses that would allow users to export a list with all users and their details in the course. This will simplify and speed up process of exporting lists of people from Canvas. Ideally, it could be exported both as a .CSV and PDF files. I saw there is an existent similar idea already (https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Ideas/Reports-Export-course-People-list-including-Teachers...), but we would like our users to be able to export more information. I was in touch with Instructure Support (case#09499488) earlier regarding New Analytics and I have submitted another suggestion for New Analytics to be integrated into Canvas, which is similar to this suggestion (see https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Ideas/Integrate-New-Analytics-into-Canvas/idi-p/558259). Thanks.

User role(s):

admin,instructor,TA,designer

JarrodHiles
Community Participant
Problem statement:

Particularly in large courses, it would be of benefit to be able to export the information contained on the People page. This includes student names, IDs, the section they belong to, role, last activity, and total activity. This would assist in a number of ways. But at a basic level could be used to help instructors to create groups which contain a mix of highly engaged and less engaged students (based on total/last activity in course).

Proposed solution:

From the People page options (kebab menu) button in the top-right of the page, include an 'Export Roster' link to generate a download of all students in the course as a csv. Include in this report all details that are shown on the people page including: names, IDs, the section they belong to, role, last activity, and total activity.

User role(s):

instructor

jnilebarnes
Community Explorer
Problem statement:

Often I need a roster of students with emails in a course for another purpose. Currently, I must download a grade book, and then delete the grades do this. There should be an easy way to download this list. I am often not the primary instructor for a course and do not need to see the grades, but there is no other way we have found to do this.

Proposed solution:

Create a simple download button in People. It should give you the option to download by role (so we can exclude a group) and export into an Excel or other CVS format. This should be available to everyone in the course except students for FERPA reasons.

User role(s):

instructor