Restrict assignment submission attempts

Currently there is no way (that I am aware of) to limit the number of times a student may submit an assignment. This functionality is available for quizzes, but not for other assignment types. It would be very helpful for our instructors to be able to set the number of times a student may submit an assignment, whether for a revisions process or simply to limit the number of files they need to comb through in grading.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For details, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-18579-canvas-release-notes-2020-04-18 

78 Comments
lindalee
Community Contributor

IIRC, the features that won't be present when Assignments 2.0 is first released include peer reviews, group assignments, and plagiarism checking.

ssalih
Community Novice

I agree with the suggestion of limit the number of submissions for an assignment, similar to Blackboard. In some cases, as an instructor, I like to give students limited  number of submissions, as anexample, only one. 

brent_scholar
Community Participant

This is going to be very beneficial, since for whatever reason this Fall I have more questions asking if they can resubmit after feedback to earn more points, because the button is so large and at the top of the page. I also had someone submit something that did not belong and the clean up of it, since it was a team assignment, now marked late, took multiple steps. It would be helpful to be able to delete an assignment too, I mean I don't think that is something Canvas Police need to do for us, they have better things to do, like add a second due date to discussion posts and make discussion responses easier to read by collapsing threads.

Cheers!

sarah-canatsey
Community Participant

I tried to add this comment as an idea, but was asked to add it to this conversation because it could possibly be added to the suggestion (or part of its implementation). 

It would be great to have a way to prevent other group members from submitting a group assignment after someone in the group has done it. I have faculty who are getting several submissions and trying to figure out which is the "official" group document is annoying. 

Potential solutions:
 - Doesn't this seem to be a more practical use of the "group leader" role than managing group name and members?

- A way for the group to submit through their group page, so anyone of them could submit the assignment? 

- A way for the submission to automatically "submit on behalf of the group" so the same submission shows for each team member (this may alleviate the stress of team members who don't trust the assignment has been submitted)?

thompsli
Community Champion

It would also be nice to have an option where any group member can "submit" the assignment to the group, but all members of the group have to somehow "confirm" that submission before it's done being submitted, so as to avoid the situation where Group Member 1 decides to turn something in because they want to be done with the assignment and it's "good enough" but Group Member 2 feels like it needs more work. Not everyone would want such a feature (and it would mean the groups with a ghosting member would need a way for the instructor to override it), but it would make it clearer if the whole group agreed on the submission or not. 

james_trueman
Community Contributor

Hi, I received an email advising that this had been modified by the communityteam‌, but I seem to be having a premature senior moment and can't see what  / how it has been modified (should I?). Could someone help please?

Many thanks

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@james_trueman ‌, the title, idea description, and tags are all intact. The Community Team removed some out-of-date stock verbiage as part of the evolution of the ideation process to emphasize the recent redesign the landing page of Ideas‌ which is where we provide our members with an up-to-date view of the priorities being worked on at any moment.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

..and we appreciate the reminder! One of the idiosyncrasies of this platform is that followers of a piece of content receive notifications that an item has been modified—but the notification doesn't reveal what has been modified. With that in mind, whenever we make a substantive change to the status of an idea (or an event, for that matter), we post a comment to that effect.

james_trueman
Community Contributor

thanks stefaniesanders‌, much appreciated :smileygrin:

millerjm
Community Champion

stefaniesanders‌ thanks for the explanation. 

I was about to ask because my inbox is full of feature ideas that were modified by Canvas in the past few days.  Smiley Happy