[Rubrics] Editing Capabilities for Rubrics

I would like to see some additional options for Rubrics.  Specifically, it would be nice to be able to:

• Insert a new rubric row anywhere within an existing rubric.
  • Drag and drop an existing rubric row to another location in the same rubric.

Use case: I was building a rubric with 40+ rows for an instructor.  After about the 40th row of the rubric, I realized I had forgotten to add a criterion around row 20.  So, I had to delete rows 21 and beyond...insert the row I missed, and then re-add the rows I had initially added.  I soon learned you have to be really careful when building rubrics with lots of rows.

Added to Theme

Improved rubric creation and usability Theme Status: In Development

298 Comments
LisaThorsell
Community Novice

There needs to be a way to EDIT the ORDER of the rubric Criterion. We should be able to drag them wherever they need to be placed and currently if you make an error, you have to delete the information which is very time-consuming and in my opinion, archaic in this platform. 

Sopko
Community Member

100% agree - this is really frustrating when building rubrics, especially those with lots of criteria or when reusing rubrics that were created other assignments and may just need a few edits to work for another assignment. 

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@LisaThorsell @Sopko -

Neither of you mentioned the concept in my post earlier in this thread.  So, I have linked it here.

That post gives information on how to use a javascript to perform row moving in a rubric

khull
Community Member

@Ron_Bowman  I appreciate your adding that workaround and reminding people about it again.

But this still needs to be a native function in Canvas, not a kludge only available to us tech-savvy users.  A feature for re-ordering rubric criteria is basic and obvious.  But the rubric system in Canvas remains primitive.

That Instructure has chosen to ignore the need for over half a decade is shameful.  (This thread was started in 2015.)  It and other ignored threads confirm that these forums are simply a user-pacification device, not a meaningful feedback mechanism.  I would be pleased to see that change, but I doubt it ever will unless it starts to affect Instructure's profits.

(Perhaps Instructure would pay more attention to these kinds of long-ignored issues if instructors boycotted their forums en masse and instead applied pressure through whichever administrators are responsible for negotiating their institution's contracts with the company.  If it starts to affect their bottom line, maybe they'll start to listen.)

-K

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@khull -

I totally agree with your assessment.  However, I keep seeing people post the same thing about needing it with no mention of having looked at previous responses - or mentioning that it is nice the work around exists, but they can't use it (school policy or whatever).

My thought process is that yes Canvas should have incorporated this aspect already (we can drag and drop content in modules), but until they do there is at least something that can be used to do it. 

My thought is you can be mad about what Canvas does not do and not use anything at your disposal to make your job easier.  Or, you can use something that is available to make your canvas experience better while still being mad about why Canvas doesn't do it.  

Personally, I really have no hope for Canvas to ever incorporate ideas that I think are terrific and very much needed.  if someone has a work around that helps me, then I am going to use it.

TammyMoore
Community Member

Ouch! the post started with a 40 line rubric. I thought I was in pain with a 22 line rubric and discovered at line 10 I missed a row. This definitely has my vote!

AWoods15
Community Member

Currently, when you create a rubric for an assignment, you can enter several criteria fields but once they are entered, you cannot simply adjust the re-ordering of the criteria fields, like a drag & drop feature. The only way to "re-order" the criteria fields is by clicking on the pencil icon to manual edit and re-order the list. This is an ineffective way to re-order the criteria fields and it is simply way too time consuming.  

For an example, if I am having my students create a 100 point Google Slide presentation, they might need to include information in a particular order. If I have 16-20 criteria fields that my students need to follow, I must make sure I enter them in the correct order the first time because I will not be able to go back and re-order the list of criteria easily. 

What we want is a way to have rubrics have the ability to DRAG & DROP (re-ordering) the criteria fields entered similar to how you would easily re-order assignment through Modules or Assignments. 

This has been a common issue that many are facing, and I hope this feature gets added immediately. Thanks for your consideration!

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@khull @Sopko @AWoods15 @TammyMoore @LisaThorsell @LisaDaniel @dopitz @DemiBarzana -

All of you have mentioned it would be nice to have this feature - it needs to be upvoted to be considered, and looking at who as voted for it, I did not see your names.  You can help by going to the start of the idea and clicking on the 5th star to vote for the idea.

@chofer - are you not allowed to vote for your own idea?  I did not see your name on the list either.

HeidiLAdams
Community Member

Yes, yes, yes.  Absolutely #1 on my wish list for Canvas.

josephgardner
Community Member

A feature to easily insert or delete lines in a rubric MUST be added.  This should be fairly simple to change.  Right now I type up rubrics in an Excel sheet and if I am making any major changes or additions, I usually completely delete the old Canvas rubric and start over each time.  Rubric revisions should be more user friendly please.