[Scheduler] Scheduler recurring events

I should be able to use the scheduler to set up appointment slots for office hours for one week and then have an option for Canvas to automatically create the same schedule on subsequent weeks.

Added to Theme

87 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@ewakeman ​

You have been so busy in here sharing great ideas, and we appreciate that so much.  Unfortunately, or fortunately - depends on how you want to look at it - I found this request already prepared for voting as well.  Please contribute and remember to vote on it. 

I am going to archive this thread.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@ewakeman ​

We have great news!  The recurring event option is available in beta and ready for testing, but we realized that your request had an additional element that was not covered in the way the feature was developed.  If it is ok with you we would like to reopen your idea with modification that makes it specific to scheduler.  Here is your original post:

Calendar/scheduler repeat events

I should be able to use the scheduler to set up appointment slots for office hours for one week and then have an option for Canvas to automatically create the same schedule on subsequent weeks. A similar feature should be available for calendar events.

I have modified your title and taken the last sentence out.  Please feel free to edit it if you feel it does not represent your idea correctly.

ewakeman
Community Novice

Thank you. This looks good to me.

david_downs
Community Explorer

Hi, I'm unclear when this will be open for voting. It says the idea will be open July 1, but the status says it will ready for the next voting period.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you  @david_downs ​

This is the one I moved to the next voting period status and copied the wrong dates in.  I was searching for it, but hadn't found it yet.  This one will open in August and I am updating the dates immediately.  Check your Activity Status!   +10 points Kommunity Kudos for finding my error!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Just a reminder that this idea will open for vote on August 5th, which is one week from tomorrow.

ale2159266
Community Novice

Thank for sharing this information, I will now be able to use this to my advantage Smiley Happy

craigring
Community Novice

This is a fantastic idea and one that would be really valuable. I am currently setting up the scheduler as a room booking system. Instead of creating an appointment for staff, I use an appointment as a vacant slot in an ICT room or meeting room for staff to book. It would be so much easier to have the function where the slots can be recurring. Instead I am currently having to create independent slots throughout the year for each room, which is quite time consuming.

I really hope this gets enough votes!

abbate
Community Novice

Q: Recurring vs. Copying?

I definitely want recurring events, but I also want to be able to copy an appointment group and modify it slightly. For example, I have two different class activities called Discussion Leading and Book Reviews. Once I've set up an appointment group for Discussion Leading, I'd like to be able to copy that and simply change the name to Book Reviews (keeping all of the other settings so I don't have to redo these each time). I don't know if the proposed mechanism for recurring events will allow that.

cdoherty
Community Participant

Our users at Stanford want recurring events to set up office hours. It would be so much easier to define a slot for every Monday, then hand pick a date for each Monday.