[Student View] Override for Locked Modules in Student View

Problem statement:

Hello, I'd love to see an override for viewing course materials in locked modules in student view. Currently, as an instructor, if you'd like to look at an assignment in a locked module in a live class, you need to unlock the module to switch to student view. This means that for the time you're looking at the course content in the module, it's also live for students.

Proposed solution:

While it's comforting to know that a module is locked and students can't view the content, it would be great to be able to check a box to continue on as an instructor in student view to see what the content will look like when the module opens. Something along the lines of "This module is locked for students. Would you like to continue?" This could keep the module closed for actual students and allow instructors to view the material as a student.

User role(s):

admin,instructor,ta,designer,observer

Added to Theme

Improved student view functionality Theme Status: Identified

2 Comments
AllisonHowell
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Added to Theme

This idea has been added to the Improved student view functionality theme for further consideration.

andrewstover
Community Member
Problem statement:

As a teacher, I need to access student view on new assignments. This is only possible if I publish the assignments for students to access, or go out of my way to assign it separately to test student (which doesn't always work, and also doesn't help if I have a module requirement in place). I would like to gain access to student view in unpublished and locked assignments.

Proposed solution:

I understand the importance of showing that an assignment is locked for students for various reasons. Would it be possible to add a [Bypass lock] or [view as published] option to select as the teacher that will then unlock the test student view despite the existing restrictions for other students.

User role(s):

admin,instructor,ta,designer