lora_penola

Act as User in a Sub-Account?

Jump to solution

Hello! We need our Heads of Schools to have ACT AS USER access. However, we can only give them access to sub-accounts since we do not want them to have full access to our Board Room course. We created sub-accounts and placed them as admin in those. Is there a way to either limit viewing of a course from somebody with full admin access to the root account (seems unlikely), or is there somehow a potential for allowing them to act as user in the sub-accounts?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Lora,

I think I have an answer for you.  You've already added them to the sub-account with the permissions they need; perfect.  Now in the Root Account, create a new Account Role (possibly named "act as user") and only give the permission "Users - Act As".  Last thing, add them to the Root account as admin, but in that new role you created for Act as a user.  

I've added a link to the Canvas Guides section that deals with roles and permissions in case you need more guidance on how to create new roles and assign permissions to them.  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10895#jive_content_id_Roles_and_Permissions

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Lora,

I think I have an answer for you.  You've already added them to the sub-account with the permissions they need; perfect.  Now in the Root Account, create a new Account Role (possibly named "act as user") and only give the permission "Users - Act As".  Last thing, add them to the Root account as admin, but in that new role you created for Act as a user.  

I've added a link to the Canvas Guides section that deals with roles and permissions in case you need more guidance on how to create new roles and assign permissions to them.  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10895#jive_content_id_Roles_and_Permissions

Rick

lora_penola

Wow! Thank you Rick, that was really helpful. I found a workaround using the same idea but thought I had to create another user for these people, so thank you! My solution was cumbersome.

The reason we wanted Act as User for a sub account was because we had to move a confidential course out of any subaccounts. These users cannot view the course, but they CAN act as users in this course. Is there a way to block anyone acting as any users in certain courses?

Thank you!

0 Kudos

I can't think of any way to block people from Acting as Users in certain courses.  Allowing someone access to the Act as a User permission really does give them a lot of rights; if they act as someone they essentially are that person with regards to being able to see and do anything that person can.  

With the scenario discussed above, I think the Admins you are working with should only be able to Act as Users who are enrolled in courses within the sub-account they have the larger admin access to.  When they go to that Sub-account and click on People, they will only see people enrolled in courses in that sub-account and thus can act as them.  But if they go to the root account and click on People I don't know that they will see anyone (or maybe they see people but again only people who are enrolled in that other subaccount.

So - I suppose for the case you are talking about with a single course, if you move the course to a different subaccount AND no one in that course is enrolled in any other courses within the subaccount where those people have admin access, it should prevent those admins from having a way to get into that course.

There are a lot of "ifs" in that scenario above 🙂

Rick

We had this method set up but it appears Canvas has made some changes to the permission structure and it no longer works for our sub-account folks to act as.  Is anyone else experiencing this issue? 

0 Kudos
nwilson7
Community Champion

@dan_rothwell  There are other threads about this issue as well.  Canvas just fixed this issue: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Known-Issues/Admins-are-able-to-act-as-non-admin-users-with-more-...so if your sub-account admin does not have a permission level that any of the users you are trying act as has, then that is the cause.  I tested this last night and it seems to still be working for me but maybe I am just getting lucky since many others are not having any luck.

-Nick

0 Kudos