Add Intelligent Agents Function for Canvas LMS

MatthewNusnbaum
Community Novice

I am at an institution that uses Canvas LMS, but I came from one that used a version of Desire2Learn/Brightspace.  While I like a lot about what Canvas offers, I find myself missing a really valuable feature for course design and student engagement especially in the context of heavily technology-enhanced courses.  D2L calls the feature "Intelligent Agents" and it seems to use the same kind of course analytical tools that "New Analytics" can provide in Canvas.  In fact, Canvas already allows instructors to contact students through New Analytics based on their course engagement/scores/etc.  The big difference is that Intelligent Agents can be automated and scheduled to reach out to students whenever they meet the set criteria, for just in time, personalized communication.

According to D2L: 

"The Intelligent Agents tool monitors an org unit to find activity that matches criteria that you set. The criteria that the agents search for are log in activity, course activity, and release conditions in Brightspace.

Example uses for agents include:

• Emailing users with grades below a certain level
  • Checking for users that have not logged in within a specific number of days
  • Checking for users that view a specific content topic"

The automation is a really important part of the functionality of this feature for allowing a very large class to feel more personalized and intimate.  Can this feature be added to the functionality of New Analytics?

0 Likes