Grades are posting to individual students in spite of the assignment being set to HIDE grades

carofitz
Community Explorer

I am grading assignments using a rubric that has four criteria listed. My preferred method of grading, which has worked in the past, is to set the assignment to HIDE GRADES and then grade each criterion one at a time. So first I grade all the assignments for criteria 1, then all of them for criteria 2, etc. Once every student has been graded for all four criteria, then I go back into the gradebook and POST GRADES. 

I'm grading my first assignment for the fall, and every time I click SAVE in speedgrader, it posts the grade for that student. Since this is an 80-point assignment and the first criteria is worth 20 points, students with full credit for that criterion are seeing scores of 25% for the whole assignment and emailing me upset. The posting seems to be triggered by saving the numeric score in speedgrader, because when I just add a comment and click save, the grade does NOT post to students. 

I didn't realize that this was happening at first, because the slashed eye symbol remains in the upper left of the assignment throughout. But the word HIDDEN disappears from the speedgrader panel as soon as I click save. If I then click on the slashed eye, it says that the grade has been posted. 

I am grading using a rubric built into Canvas. A colleague said that the same thing was happening to them without the rubric. 

My posting policy for the gradebook as a whole is to post grades immediately, since that is what I normally want to happen. It is just this one assignment that I wanted to have manual posting. If that isn't an option, the Hide Grades button for individual assignments should be greyed out. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes