Allowing reattempt of a particular Essay type question in a Canvas Classic Quiz

Jump to solution
RasoolBux
Community Explorer

Hi everyone,

I am working with a Registered raining Organization. Our all assessments are competency-based. We normally create quizzes with multiple "Essay Type" questions and grade them as 'satisfactory/unsatisfactory'. In case a student attempts 8 out of 10 question satisfactorily, we allow student to reattempt only those 02 questions previously attempted unsatisfactorily. So, my question is if there is any provision in Canvas to allow a reattempt of only those 02 specific questions not all questions again. Please help such a solution is available.

Thanks

Rasool

0 Likes
1 Solution
NicoletteStaley
Instructure
Instructure

I have never heard of the Canvas Quiz Loader before now, and it may have the functionality that you are looking for, but it is not a Instructure created tool/extension and not supported by Canvas.  Because of that I can't offer guidance on its functionality or use; I can offer some guidance on what could be done natively in Canvas.

If you want students to only need to answer the questions that they needed to improve upon in their additional quiz attempts, I can think of three possible solutions:

1. Have the quiz set to allow students to see their responses.  Then before students retake the quiz, they can open their original quiz submission in a different tab and copy and paste their answers for the correct questions into their new attempt (this is my least favorite option as the instructor would need to regrade all of the questions and future attempts--even the ones they previously graded as correct).

2. The instructor can duplicate the quiz and remove the correctly answered questions and then assign the duplicated/edited quiz to the student. (This is also not optimal because the instructor would need to set the new quiz as not to count toward the total grade, and then copy the new scores into the first quiz submission.)

3.  The best for last (in my opinion).  The instructor can add a submission comment on the first quiz attempt listing which questions were answered correctly.  Then the student can retake the quiz and skip the questions that were listed in the submission comment.  When grading the new attempt, the instructor can mark the skipped (originally correct) questions as correct in the new attempt.  They can also verify that the student didn't skip any more questions as they should have by verifying which questions should be marked correctly according to the submission comment.

View solution in original post

0 Likes