Answers Quizzes

Jump to solution
Ohran
Community Member

On Quizzes, there is an option for students to see or not to see incorrect answers to their quizzes. It allows all students to see their answers (if I click the box).  However,  I want to determine which students are able to see their answers.    After a unit assessment, I like to meet with students individually to review their incorrect answers. As it is right now, the only option is to have all students see their answers.  I want to individualize that option.  I can assign quizzes individually or retakes individually, I think it would be beneficial if a teacher can determine who can see their own quiz responses.  

Is there an option or can you create an option, to determine which students can see their responses?    

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@Ohran 

Canvas does not have an easy or direct route to do what you're asking. There is no rule that allows you to specify that students A, B, and D should be able to see it while student C cannot. There is no rule that says anyone with a grade of 80% or better can view it while those with less than 80% must see the teacher.

That means that anything you do will be a work-around. With most work-arounds, you need to figure out what is most important to you as you will not get everything that you want.

These are not exactly what you want but might work.

While not exactly what you're asking for, one thing that you can do is deny the ability for all students to see their incorrect answers. Allow enough time for you to meet with students and go through the quizzes with them on your computer. Then after that time has passed, you can change the setting to allow all students to view answers.

You could use mastery paths to set up an extra assignment for those students who score less than 80% that tells them they must meet with the instructor. You could use module requirements to make sure they don't access additional module items until they do that and you mark it off. That is independent of whether you show the answers or not. You could enable the answers for everyone but then make certain students meet with you to go over them (knowing that they already know what the correct answer is) or you could withhold the answers from everyone as I mentioned in the previous paragraph.

If you don't want a blanket rule like 80%, you could still create that extra assignment but then manually assign it to the students you want to meet with. It doesn't have to prevent them from moving on, but you could make a grade for it so they will want to. It doesn't really matter how much you make the grade worth, or even if you tell it not to count towards the final grade, when students see something show up on the To Do list, they pay more attention to it.

Here is something that won't work.

With Classic Quizzes, there is the ability to specify when to show or hide the correct answers. There is also the ability to use differentiated assignments to assign to specific students. You might think that you could originally hold off showing the results until the quiz was over and then go through and use differentiated assignments to let some see them now while others only get to see them in the future -- presumably after you've met with them. However, the dates for showing and hiding the correct answers is tied to the quiz itself and not part of the differentiation or assignment overrides.

Here is something that may or may not work. I did some testing, but because I'm a student in my own sandbox as well as a Canvas administrator, weird things were happening.

Posting of grades allows you to hide/show grades. You can control it from SpeedGrader or the Gradebook. When a grade is not posted (hidden), the student will get a message that their quiz score has been muted and not show the results. That sound exactly like what you want, except for the posting/hiding cannot be done on an individual student basis.

What you can do, though, is release grades to everyone (not desirable), those how have received a grade or a submission comment, or specific sections.

To test this, I took a quiz and hid the grades so that no one can see their results. I then took the quiz as a student and it gave me the results. The grades were hidden from the student.

In theory, you could hide the results from everyone, go through and leave a submission comment to everyone you wanted to see the grade, and then release the grades to those who have a comment.

However, this does not work. All students would have a grade unless you had questions on the quiz that were manually scored. Since my quiz had no manually graded questions, it had a score and the student could see their responses.

You might have to add a question that you manually graded. You could go through and grade it for everyone who you wanted to release the grades to. Then, after meeting with the individual students, you could grade that question for them.

I'm not sure if the grade release is a one-time thing or not (I don't use them myself). By that I mean, do you have to re-release the grades every time a student meets with you or if you have to go through and re-release them each time. My previous experience with manually posting grades was that it reset the time you graded students to the time you posted the grades. That would suggest that it went through and marked each submission as posted, rather than implementing a rule that anyone with a grade in the future could see it. That would make it impossible to do what you want.

There is another possibility related to this. If you have the ability to create sections, then you could make a section called "Must see instructor" (or whatever you like) and add those student to the section. You could then hide the grades for students in that section. Faculty at my school cannot create sections as we let the student information system take care of that. It would also be problematic since you would have to release grades for everyone but then immediately hide them for people in that section. There's no option to release grades for everyone who isn't in a particular section.

Of course, if you know which students will need to meet with you before they take the quiz and you can create the sections, then this might work.

I find hiding and posting grades to be easy to mess up and something I would forget to do, but other people do it successfully.

View solution in original post