Apostrophes with Fill-in-the-Blank Questions on Quizzes

Jump to solution
englishskills50
Community Explorer

Has anyone else had a problem with apostrophes in fill-in-the blank questions? 

I'm finding that when I input a correct answer with an apostrophe, Canvas will render it into the similar, though actually different, single close quote character. A typical keyboard which most people use can only input an apostrophe, and as a result, it's impossible to create a correct answer which will match something that people can type. 

Or maybe there is just something wrong with my keyboard/system?

Is there any way to input characters differently (e.g., using code) while building a quiz?

1 Solution
englishskills50
Community Explorer
Author
Hi Deanna, 
Yes, I figured it out. The problem was that I was copying text from a word processor, MS Word. MS Word doesn't actually insert an apostrophe character (U+0027) when the the apostrophe key is used--at least not with the keyboard on my computer. Instead, it inserts a right single quotation character (U+2019). I don't know if that is something that can be reconfigured in MS Word. I haven't had the time really to investigate it. When entering text directly with Canvas, an actual apostrophe is put in (U+0027) .
321143_apostrophes.JPG
So the solution (for me at this point) is to make sure all apostrophes are entered directly with Canvas (or to copy text only from a basic text editor, like Notepad).

Eric

View solution in original post