As an instructor using Free for Teachers, how do I change what appears in the student "Name" field?

Jump to solution
lgkiii
Community Member

I am an instructor using the Free for Teachers account and I have looked high and low for a way to change what is displayed in the students' "Name" field. For instance, some students, when signing up for Canvas, only provided their email address. Consequently, what I see under "Name" is their email address.

I have looked for ways to change this on my end, to no avail. I have also gotten students to edit their profile so that their name appears on their computer, but this change does not appear in the "Name" field on my computer.

Here are some other things that I've done to try to fix the situation:

1. Remove students from the course and re-invite them, or manually re-add them to the course via the same email. Doing so again displays their email address as their name. There is no name editing option.

2. Cleared the cache on my computer. No luck.

3.  Logged out of Canvas, then back in.

If anyone has any idea how this issue can be resolved, please let me know. Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @lgkiii ...

I checked in with one of the Canvas Community Managers, and she said that this could be changed by Canvas Support (How do I contact Canvas Support? - Instructure Community) or by e-mailing Community@instructure.com.

Hope this will be of help to you!

View solution in original post

0 Likes