Asked to sign in again randomly, each time another duplicate notification

Jump to solution
LizardHause
Community Novice

Frequently (maybe once or twice a week?) I go to the canvas app to check a notification and am asked to search for my institution and sign in again. Every time this happens, I get a duplicate notification with every push notification. So if I had to sign in 3 times over a few weeks each push notification has 3 duplicates. So not only do I have to go through login randomly, I also get tons of notifications after a while. This happens on both iOS and Android as I’ve used both recently, maybe less often on iOS, and the only way I’ve been able to reset the number of notifications to 1 is to reinstall the canvas app. It comes right back after a bit, though. I tried asking my school’s IT department but they don’t do support for canvas, but they don’t allow us access to canvas support option via the app’s help feature. 

0 Likes
1 Solution
ColtonSwapp
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @LizardHause 

There are a couple things that might be causing this to happen. Here is what I have found: 

1. For the sign in issue, is your institution using an authentication service? If so, sometimes it will completely force a sign you out after a certain amount of time has expired, for security purposes. Your institution might be able to adjust this so that it does not force sign you out so often. 
  2. For the duplicate notifications, obviously making sure your notification preferences are set up correctly is a good place to start. However, sometimes there can be another thing causing this. When you use the iOS or Android app, it will configure an access token in your canvas account.  if you have duplicate access tokens authorized for the apps, it can sometimes cause duplicate notifications.
  3. You can try to remove some of the duplicate tokens for the iOS and Android app. You can do this by clicking on your account button and selecting settings. There will be an area in the account settings that says Approved Integrations. You should see any app's that have a Access Tokens authenticated with your canvas account. If you see multiple app tokens for iOS and Android, you can delete them. If you remove them all, when you sign in again, it will configure a new token, and send you notifications based on that. HERE is a guide on how to manage your API Access tokens. 

Let us know if this helps! 

-Colton

View solution in original post