Assignment Group Weighting Issue

Jump to solution
jsme_45
Community Explorer

I’m trying to figure out how best use assignment groups. Many of our assignments have several parts individually graded out of 100.

For example, an assignment group weighting is 60% with Part A worth 20% and Part B worth 40%. Both Part A and Part B are individually worth 100% (or 100pts in Canvas). What is the best way to set this up in Canvas? It seems Canvas adds both totals together and weights the total at 60%.

Should I create two assignment groups for the different parts with weightings of 20% and 40% each? I would like to keep the assignments grouped together.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

With Assignment Group Weighting, you can have one overall scheme. For example:

Project A - 20%

Project B - 20%

Project C - 20%

Final Exam - 40%

Once you have set up the overall scheme, that's it. You can't add an additional level. You can't create a subset of Assignment Groups for only Project A.

That being said, you can work with the point values. For example, let's say that Project A is worth 100 points in total. Then just create separate assignments that add up to 100 points. For example:

Proposal - 10 points

Sources - 20 points

First draft - 20 points

Final draft - 50 points

Here, with points, I've made the final draft of Project A worth 50% of the overall Project A grade.

View solution in original post