Assignment > External Tool > "Launch" button not showing for Instructors

Jump to solution
johnweisz
Community Member

I'm a developer for a tool provider and I have a client that uses Canvas and needs to create assignments that use our external tool launched into a new tab. 

The LTI 1.1 setup process is not an issue, and adding the assignment is straightforward, however, it seems that some roles such as the instructor that added the external tool assignment, when clicking the assignment, can only see the title and description but they do not see the "This tool needs to be loaded in a new browser window" text and a button below to launch the app as expected.. If a student views the assignment, they can see the button. 

Is this a bug or is there a setting they need to change? We tried adding the LTI app at both the global and course level, this does not resolve the issue.

I have a lot of instructors thinking the integration isn't working because of this.

0 Likes
1 Solution
cassidy_reed
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello and thank you for reaching out with this question. This could just be a simple browser issue but there is also a checkbox when teachers create the new assignment in Canvas labeled "Load this tool in a new tab" that they will want to make sure is checked. Most likely this is something that our technicians would want to look at live so we can get a better picture of the tool being used and how it's being setup in the assignment. Instructions for how to reach us at Canvas support.

Thank you!

View solution in original post