Assignment weighting

Jump to solution
s5004675
Community Member

My question is about weighted marks within an assignment group.

It seems that Canvas will only allow the total group assignment to be weighted if the 2 assignments are given marks which add up to 100 ( e.g. Assignment A = 70 and Assignment B= 30 marks). 

I have an assignment group worth 20% of the total grade. Within the assignment group there are 2 assignments (A & B) both marked out of 100. Assignment A is worth 70% of the total assignment group (20%) and assignment B is worth 30% of the total assignment group (20%). 

Can Canvas calculate a weighted  assignment group when the sub assignments are both marked out of 100?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions

@s5004675 ...

I don't have a lot of experience with grading (I was a former Canvas administrator and did not teach courses), but when you are editing the details of your assignments, you can set the number of points and then select from a few different options in the "Display Grade as" drop-down box.   One of those options is "Percentage", but I'm not sure if that would completely solve the question you are asking about.  In this Guide, How do I add or edit details in an assignment? - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com), there is the following paragraph under the heading "Select Grading Type":

Note: The grading type is how the assignment score will display in the Gradebook. For example, an assignment worth 10 points is set to display as a percentage. A student who receives 8/10 points on the assignment will show as 80 in the Gradebook. If using a letter grade, learn how to create a grading scheme and apply a grading scheme to your assignment.

But again, @SusanNiemeyer's response is correct: "In Canvas, you can have Assignment Groups, but not Assignment Subgroups."

I hope this might help a bit.

View solution in original post

0 Likes

No, Canvas will NOT let you do this.

Assignment group (20%) of total grade

• Assignment 1: marked out of 100 and worth 30% of the Assignment group 20%
  • Assignment 2: marked out of 100 and worth 70% of assignment group 20%.

In this case, Assignment 1 should have 30 points, and Assignment 2 should have 70 points. There is no "sub-tier" of assignment weighting. Just use points and keep it simple.

View solution in original post