Assignments for only a group of students

Jump to solution
BarbaraGuerraW
Community Member

I am not sure if this is possible, but I teach Spanish and in my class I have regular students that do not speak Spanish and some native speakers. In order for native speakers not to get bored, I give them a different assignment each week. I have created an assignment and assigned it just to them, but I can't seem to "turn off" the assignments for the other kids so that it does not count as a 0 for them. I have created groups, and when I assign it will not let me assign to a group. When I create an assignment, I can do the group assignment but I want it to be individual at the same time. 

I hope I am explaining my problem correctly and someone can guide me or point me in the right direction. 

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
JeffCampbell
Community Coach
Community Coach

Go to a course's Settings page and there is a tab for Sections. You can create sections for your class to group students. When assigning work, you can assign work to specific sections. That should fit what you want to do. More Info here: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-add-a-section-to-a-course-as-an-instruc...

After creating the sections, go to the People page and select the three dots next to a student's name to add them to a section. Unfortunately, this step is something that I believe an institution can turn off, limiting you from adding students to sections you create. You might talk to whomever manages canvas for your institution for help if that is the case. They might be able to create the sections for you.

View solution in original post

0 Likes