Available From and Until Dates Glitch in Ungraded Discussions!

Jump to solution
PallaviJalakam
Community Contributor

Hello!

I have come across a unique issue with Canvas Availability From and Until dates in Ungraded Discussions! Here are the steps to replicate the issue:

1. Create an Ungraded Discussion in your Canvas course shell.
  2.  Enter Available From date past/after the Until Date. For example:
    • Available From: Jul 18 at 12:02am
    • Until: July 17 at 11:55pm
  3. Click Save or Save & Publish.

Canvas lets you save the Ungraded Discussion without any error. For the same Discussion, if you select the Graded checkbox and try to enter the same Availability from and Until Dates, and Save the Discussion, Canvas displays an error: Unlock date cannot be after lock date

While it is purely a manual error to set wrong Available from and Until dates, the interesting thing to note here is that Canvas let it happen/save and did not throw any error while saving the Ungraded Discussion like it does for Graded Discussion. Should not the Availability from and Until dates algorithm or workflow be same across the Canvas?

I understand that Ungraded Discussions have a different workflow than Graded Discussions and that Ungraded Discussions often ignore or do not have Availability From and Until dates, but is there a way this can fixed?

Thanks!
Pallavi Jalakam 

0 Likes
1 Solution
DrNufer
Community Coach
Community Coach

The helpdesk support was able to replicate this issue also and they forwarded it to their engineers.  I told them they don't need to follow up with me.  I'm sure it will get resolved!  
😁

View solution in original post