Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
breklis
Community Member

Bulk Assign Late / Missing Status in Gradebook

In the new gradebook, teachers can flag assignments as late or missing.  However, this has to be done student by student.  It would be much more efficient if teachers could fill multiple students' scores as late or missing using "set default grade".  For example, an instructor gives students grades on an assignment, but several scores are left empty.  If the instructor wants to give each remaining blank score a "missing" status, they need to tag each of these one-by-one.  If teachers in this situation could use "set default grade" and mark each ungraded assignment as missing all at once, it would save instructors substantial time.

10 Replies
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Have you leveraged the new 'missing/late policy' to have these done automagically for you?  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13947-73553826328 

0 Kudos
breklis
Community Member

The missing submission policy is great, but from what I have seen, the

missing tag still needs to be applied manually per student (for on paper

submissions).

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 7:35 AM, rcarney@instructure.com <

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

That is correct, because there is no assignment submission trigger for the system to know if an assignment is actually late or not.  We wouldn't want to mark assignments late that a teacher has collected and hasn't entered grades for yet.

breklis
Community Member

So sorry I was not clear when I used the phrase "manually per student". I

don't want an auto-update, but rather the ability to assign this tag to

multiple students at the same time (like the set default grade feature).

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 9:42 AM, rcarney@instructure.com <

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

I agree! During conversations with colleagues, we've talked about how nice it would be if there was a way to set the default status, especially for assignments turned in on paper. If we could add a "Bulk Status Update" feature in the New Gradebook, it would be great, and it would save a lot of clicks, depending on the grading task! (A great spot would be right under Set Default Grade.)

View of new Gradebook, Set Default Score

megan_williams

I would like to be able to bulk enter all of the possible choices under set default grade.  For me "ex" would be useful.  Sometimes I collect something from only one section, or only one subset of students.  I'd love to enter their grades, and then bulk excuse the remainder of the students.

kimberly_smith1
Community Member

Hello  @Renee_Carney  ,

I am a bit confused by this thread. 

Am I to understand that if a 'late policy' is not set up in the New Gradebook, that the late/missing labels will not display? If so, that makes me very happy - as I do not want those labels showing up. However, it was my understanding that the New Gradebook assigns late/missing automatically, based on the assignment due date (please see https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/10605-a-global-option-to-enabledisable-missing-and-late-status... ). I just received notice that my institution will be switching over to the New Gradebook soon. I am concerned because my course structure allows students to choose from a number of assignments within an assignment group, making those not-done assignments neither later nor missing. Thank you.

0 Kudos
breklis
Community Member

Hi Kimberly,

The intent of this thread is for "on-paper" assignments or "no-submission" assignments.  These assignments do not get late/missing labels automatically, because they are not submitted electronically.  What I'm hoping to be able to do is to quickly mark any empty cell as "missing", just like "set default grade" would do with a numeric score.  

What you're asking about (I think) relates to online submissions for which Canvas automatically marks as missing if there is no submission.  Perhaps @Renee Carney can offer more clarification on how you can set up your late and missing policies to get the result you want?

Best,

Barbara

kimberly_smith1
Community Member

Hello breklis,

Thank you so much for this clarification. 

Best,

Kim

0 Kudos
kimhan

I agree, If there was a simple programming fix in the "set default grade" where you could put an m to mark as missing and put in a default grade of your choice, that would be ideal!  In the same place, programming it so that you could enter an e or x for excused would be great too!  I have used other gradebooks that have used this feature, or even allow you to type in the "m" or "x" and automatically counting for your setting and it is so unbelievably useful.  Please consider adding this feature to the gradebook.