Can you lock the course_format field?

Jump to solution
ldavenport4015
Community Participant

We are considering adding the course format field (on campus, onlline, blended) to our SIS Import for courses to aid in reporting. I can't find that that field can be locked. From the Canvas SIS documentation it is not a "sticky" field, so will it get overwritten with every SIS Import even if it is changed by the instructor? 

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
paul_fynn
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @ldavenport4015 I can't speak to the locking, but our ITS team 'brute force' items that we want to suppress by adding them to a .javascript blocker.

However this does mean that the .js has to be updated every time there is a new Instructure update.

View solution in original post

Hi @ldavenport4015,

Got it.  I think @paul_fynn is correct in that you'd need to di some customization for this.  If you add the follwoing line to a javascript file and upload it to your Canvas theme, it should work (best practice would also to be to put this inside an if statement that checks that you're on the course settings page, but I wanted to keep this simple to get you a potential solution):

document.getElementById("course_course_format").disabled=true

While these customizations could break at any time with a Canvas update, I have found they are relatively stable and have a number of similar little customzations done in javascript for our Canvas instance.

-Chris

View solution in original post

0 Likes