Canvas Generated HTML Broken for External Tools

Jump to solution
sgilbert
Community Participant

Starting yesterday, Canvas changed the HTML code that is generated for external tools. In my case, my Canvas class makes extensive use of Cay Horstmann's excellent CodeCheck tool. Prior to yesterday, the code generated by Canvas when inserting an external tool looked like this:

<iframe src="about:blank" name="tool_content" id="tool_content" 
       class="tool_launch" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen" 
       webkitallowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" tabindex="0" 
       title="REX 9A" style="height:100%;width:100%;" 
       allow="geolocation *; microphone *; camera *; midi *; encrypted-media *; autoplay *; clipboard-write *; display-capture *" 
       data-lti-launch="true"><iframe>

If I save an assignment today, Canvas generates the same code, except, that the highlighted portion is changed to:

style="height:px;width:px;"

With no size or anything provided for the height or width. The effect is that all of our assignments now appear in a tiny window on the screen. (If I don't save or modify the assignments, they still work fine. If I click the Save button, they are overwritten with the new code.)

I'm hoping that someone who has the same problem, or someone who works for Canvas, or someone who has the ability to file a support ticket with Canvas) will raise this issue with support.

Thanks very much.

--Steve

Labels (1)
1 Solution
ssadler
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks you for bringing this to our attention - it appears to have impacted several tool providers. The iframe height/width issue is on our team's radar. Our Engineering team has a potential fix which we're currently testing and hope to roll out soon.

View solution in original post