Canvas Grade: Distribute the weighted grade within the Group in the Assignment Group Weight.

Jump to solution
NSTPEDTECH
Community Member

Is there a way for me to distribute the weight of the "Assignment Group Weight" to each item in the Assignment Group? For example, Assignment A has three items (20%), but I want A1 to get a bigger chunk of the weight than A2 and A3. Is this possible? (All three are still only 20% of the final grade.)

If not, how is the 20% distributed to all items? For example, if the student did not do A1, will the weight be divided between A2 and A3 now? or would the weight still be divided among the three items, and A1 would have zero as a grade?

I really appreciate any clarity you can provide.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@NSTPEDTECH ...

There isn't a way to weight individual assignments within an Assignment Group on the "Assignments" index page.  You can only weight the Assignment Groups themselves.  I'm not sure if you've taken a look at this Guide, but I believe much of what you've asked above might be covered in the light-blue box at the top of How do I weight the final course grade based on as... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com).  As for the second part of your question, I think the last sentence in the first paragraph of that blue box may answer that, too (highlighting is my own): "Within each assignment group, a percentage is calculated by dividing the total points a student has earned by the total points possible for all assignments in that group."

On a related note, I took a moment to search the Canvas Community to see if I could find any existing Ideas submitted by Community members that were related to your question.  I came across this one:

[Assignments] weighting in assignment groups - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

You'll notice that the above Idea has been added to the Theme called:

Improve Gradebook settings options - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

I'd encourage you to follow both of these items so that if/when it opens for voting, you can participate in that process and add your feedback.  Here's a document with further explanation on how this works:

How do Ideas and Themes work in the Instructure Co... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

I hope these links will be of some help to you!  Sing out if you have any questions...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

Within an Assignment Group, you need to consider the number of points you assign for each item. For example:

Assignment 1: 80 points

Assignment 2: 40 points

Assignment 3: 40 points

In this scenario, A1 is given much more weight. A2 and A3 have the same amount of weight.

The total number of points for each Assignment Group is irrelevant. You just need to pay attention to the relative point values of assignments.

View solution in original post