Canvas New Quizzes - Reports and Data Export

lmrozinske
Community Member

I hope to clearly explain the need to improve the available reports in New Quizzes, and request that all reports include a data export option. New Quizzes has two out of the three report options that are available in Classic Quizzes. The available reports are Quiz and Item Analysis and Outcomes Analysis, and the unavailable report is Student Analysis.

1) Regarding the missing Student Analysis report - The Student Analysis report is critical.  It is one thing to know a single item is performing poorly (data available in the Quiz and Item Analysis report) and another to be able to identify the specific students who are having difficulty with that item or a group of items.  

2) Regarding the available Quiz and Item Analysis report - The report has lost some functionality. It no longer permits the user to drilldown on a specific answer option and discover which students selected that option. More importantly though is that the name of the item is not displayed and the data cannot be exported. Item review is extremely difficult when a user cannot track or analyze the detailed item stats for general health or distractor performance. The data is there, it is just not available in a workable format.

3) Regarding the available Outcomes Analysis report - There are two concerns with this report.  First an export (including student id and section) is needed and secondly, this report and the Learning Mastery report are not linked (ironically users can export outcome data from the Learning Mastery report).  

I see so much hesitation from the Canvas community because New Quizzes does not give users the same data experience as Classic Quizzes, and as educators, that is what we need. Users who have made the transition are finding that we have to spend hours manually exporting data (via copy/paste or data entry into excel) to achieve the same understanding that we use to have at the push of a button.  

I am hoping to discover if these concerns will be addressed in the next year, specifically the data export options. If exports are not made available, it would be to my benefit to move our program’s 400+ items back into Canvas Classic Quizzes.