Canvas access for students who are not registered in a course

Jump to solution
yhuerta1
Community Novice

Hello

Is there a way to create a Canvas course that anyone can access regardless of registration?  In our school, we have created a separate virtual section of a course for students who get COVID. Students will technically be enrolled in another section of the course with different instructors. 

Is there a way to create this virtual section that has open access so people can pop in and out? 

I checked the visibility options under the course and it seems like I can change it through there but I'm still wondering if there are other options. 

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @yhuerta1 

You can set a course up to allow self-enrollment.  There are instructions at https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-enable-course-self-enrollment-with-a-jo... 

Of course, this requires that the person be logged into Canvas in order to enroll themselves.

If the course does not actually require any participation (no quizzes, assignments, discussion boards, etc.) and you want to use it strictly to distribute information, you can set the course visibility to "Public" and people will be able to see the contents of the course without actually being enrolled in the course or even being logged into Canvas.

View solution in original post