Capturing Pre-Test Data

Jump to solution
JacieJohnson
Community Member

Capturing Pre-Test Data---preserving scores for data comparison, but allowing students a participation grade. Putting in ungraded quizzes does not preserve scores. I have visited with Canvas support and they have no solutions for me. I am sure others are needing this feature. I give several pre-tests, but find that I cannot access scores (for comparison data) unless I enter it as a graded quiz.  The students are freaking out because this affects their grades.  I would prefer to collect the data and then give them participation points.  This is not an option with Canvas.  So, I have tried listing them as a non-graded quiz, (and all other options that Canvas provides).  Scores do not show at all.  I am having to go in, created Pre-tests as graded quizzes; save all data to a spread sheet (outside of Canvas); change all scores to a participation score.  In the meantime, the students' grades are going haywire.  There has to be a better way to capture data and use testing features as a tool.  I would like to give Pre-Tests, Post-Test and then Graded Post test for this very intensive class preparing students for professional licensure.  Can you address this, please?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
cstrikwerda
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @JacieJohnson 

Thanks for posting in the community.

When using Practice Quizzes, you can view the results of the practice quiz. 

Viewing Results of Practice Quizzes

However this does not record a score in the gradebook for participation. For that participation grade, you would need to create a separate assignment to add that grade in the gradebook.

Or, you could setup weighted groups like @nwilson7  suggested. With weighted groups, you could setup those as graded quizzes to record a score, but place them in an assignment group worth 0% of the grade so thy would not count toward the total.

Those are the best options we have right now,  however members of our Product and Engineering team want to hear from you if there is anything that would make your experience with Canvas better. Feel free to submit your suggestions to our Ideas Page here: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/idb-p/ideas

How Idea Conversations work in our Community:
https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Community/How-do-idea-conversations-work-in-the-Instructure-Commu...

View solution in original post

0 Likes