Central control for navigation menu.

Jump to solution
tim_littleton
Community Explorer

Hi,

Does anyone know of a method for changing navigation settings for all courses at the same time?

For example we might want to hide the Files item from the menu for all of our courses. Rather than opening the settings page for each course and then applying the change there, we could do it in one place for all of our courses.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tim Littleton

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @tim_littleton,

Unfortunately, I don't thing there is a general way to centrally enable/disable/rearrange course navigation items for existing courses.

If you were looking to set some defaults for courses that were about to be created, you could look into creating and enabling a template for your account or subaccount, and whatever you did with that template would be inherited into any courses created after that point.

For existing courses, I believe you would need to go course-by-course to disable a menu item.  You could do this through the API (which would certainly be quicker than going through the UI for a large number of courses) if you have someone with programming experience available.

One final note is that generally a teacher is always able to rearrange and enable/disable menu items on their own too.  Even if you go and disable files, for example, a teacher could go back and re-enable it a minute or two later.  If the aim is to get some defaults set, the template might be a good solution (for the future), but if you're looking to somewhat permanently lock out some things, I don't think that's something that can easily be done without adding a bunch of javascript or some other custom methods.

-Chris

View solution in original post