Changing Assignment Point Totals

Jump to solution
nelson25
Community Novice

What happens if I change the point totals of a completed assignment?  Does this affect scores already put in? Will it cut off scores over the new total value?

I would like to lower the "Total" for an assignment from 30 to 25, but many students have gotten totals higher than 25 already, and they deserve those points.  Would changing the "total" wipe out their points?

[If this seems like a weird situation, let me explain: I have an assignment worth 100 points, and I've divided it into parts. So essentially students see three assignments, worth 50, 25, and 30. What's that you say?? That doesn't equal 100? Now you see my problem: I have bonus points worked in, but I still want the denominator of the calculation to be 100, not 105.]

So if I change the 30 point category to 25, that fixes it, so long as Canvas accepts scores over 25. (and so long as it doesn't resize the grades).

I don't know how else to accomplish this. This assignment (all 3 parts for 100 points) is one of 10 similar assignments that will make up 20% of the total grade. As it is now, students are getting a percentage score based on dividing by 105, which is wrong. But I don't know how to change that.

Steven

1 Solution
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Steven,

If you have an assignment worth, say, 30 points and a student has earned 30 points and then you change the assignment to be worth 25 points, the student will still have 30 points (out of 25) in the gradebook.

View solution in original post