Clicking on "View this Message in Conversations" leads to link where "No conversation is selected"

Jump to solution
theslyprofessor
Community Member

When I click on the "View this Message in Conversations" option, it leads me to a link where it displays the message "No conversation is selected."

This issue has been causing major inconveniences as I rely on this feature to access important conversations and messages within Canvas. It makes it extremely inconvenient to send attachments.  I have tried to troubleshoot it on my end by clearing my browser cache and cookies, but the problem persists. Please see attachments.

Could you please investigate and provide a solution to resolve this issue? I would greatly appreciate your prompt assistance in resolving this matter, as it is affecting my ability to effectively communicate within Canvas. 

Thank you for your attention to this matter, and I look forward to your response.

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @theslyprofessor ...

Thanks for posting your question here in the Canvas Community website.  To be clear, are you seeing the "View this Message in Conversations" wording when you get an e-mail notification that you've received a message in your Canvas Inbox?  And, if so, are you clicking on that link to take you to your Canvas Inbox?  I tested this out in my own sandbox course where I had a dummy student account.  As the dummy student, I went into the Canvas Inbox and sent a message from the dummy student account to my own Canvas account where I have enrolled myself as an instructor in the sandbox course.  After I sent the message, I received an e-mail notification that I had a message from the dummy student account.  I also had the "View this message in Conversations" link in the e-mail.  When I clicked on that link, it brought me to my Canvas Inbox...as expected.  I also see the "No Conversations Selected" message on the right side of the Canvas Inbox.  If you have a new conversation to read in your Canvas Inbox, that should show as a filled-in dot/circle on the left side of your Canvas Inbox next to the person's name who sent you the message.

I also tried sending a separate message in the Canvas Inbox similar to what I described above...but this time adding a small image as an attachment.  When I received a notification via e-mail, the image was included as a link that I could click on to download, and that worked as expected.

Here is something else I noticed re: the "View this message in Conversations" link...  In both messages that came to my e-mail Inbox, I noticed that the link for "view this message in Conversations" was slightly different.  They looked similar to the following:

https://SchoolName.instructure.com/conversations/########

So, I am not sure if the number at the end of the URL is supposed to point to an actual conversation within the Canvas Inbox?  If so, then I could see where a bug report to the Canvas Help Desk might be warranted.  But, I'm not 100% sure if this is how it is supposed to work or not.

If you would like to submit this as a possible bug to Canvas Support, you can do that by clicking on the "Help" icon on the far left-hand global navigation menu within Canvas.  Then, select "Report a Problem".  If you do not have that option in the "Help" menu, then you can contact your school's Canvas administrator or someone from your school's Online Learning / eLearning / Distance Education team, and they might be able to submit a ticket to the Help Desk on your behalf.

I hope this will be of some help to you.  Please keep us posted on this...thanks!

View solution in original post