Confusing design

Jump to solution
JenniferMcCarth
Community Member

1-     The design that I found the most difficult to grasp, and understand is the experimental design. It was stated that initially, the conditions or variables were set, but who is the one that gets to set and determine what qualifies as THE condition or variable? I just find it very time consuming to determine what conditions or variables should be asked. People are constantly changing, so I just have to keep reminding myself of the one variable they all have in common, their age range.

2-     If I were to choose a design method to do research on, I would choose the multi variable correlation design. The participants wouldn’t just be compared or contrasted in two variables(age and sex), but there could be a third variable(education)that may help to further compare or contrast whichever finding the results may lead you, and could decide which way the information may lead you to. I believe I would further use the path analysis to further help to differentiate occurrences participants may have, especially since the latter since researchers test all possible corrections among a single model.

3-     Longitudinal designs are of great value and importance because they follow the same group of participants over the same amount of time, and are often very well planned out before the actual testing even begins! Practical problems that may “hinder these designs” and the “most significant” and perhaps the most obvious is that “it takes years, decades for these studies” to come to actualization, which was discussed when explaining exactly what longitudinal research entails. An example of such a study that was in the documentary was that of the Terman Study on gifted youth, which also studied a group of the same people in intervals of seven years, from the time they were seven years old, up to the age of thirty-five.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @JenniferMcCarth ...

I'm not sure if you realized this or not, but you have posted your question to the global Canvas Community website where people from all over the world come to ask questions, suggest new Feature Ideas, participate in focus groups, collaborate with others, review written and video tutorials, and a whole lot more...all about Canvas. Your above posting sounds like something you probably meant to post within your course rather than here in the Community website.  I would suggest that you watch this brief video tutorial on how to post replies to topics within your course (if that is what you intended to do):

Discussions Overview (Students)

If you have any other questions about this, I would suggest you reach out to your instructor…as we here in the Community wouldn’t have access to your school’s Canvas environment or your course(s) in question.

How do I get help with Canvas as a student?

I hope this will be of help...good luck to you!

View solution in original post