cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zellerk
Community Member

Copying questions from one quiz to another without copying a course

Jump to solution

I made a "quiz" in canvas to use a unit test. I would like to now copy the questions straight into another quiz to make check-in quizzes to use as CFAs of students' progress during the unit. I would also like to be able to move questions that are already created into question groups on an assessment, but it does not allow that. Why is this?? Is there not a way to do this if you initially start by creating the questions within the quiz first instead of creating them in a question bank? Does anyone else find Canvas's quiz creating features EXTREMELY lacking?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lph
Community Champion

Hi  @zellerk ‌

Here are are a few tricks:

Duplication

There is a clever trick to make a copy of a quiz, without exporting, downloading, and uploading. 

Go to your course, choose Settings then Import Course Content. Next to Course Content is a drop down. Choose copy a course. Select your current course. Do not copy everything. Instead, there is a radio button for Select specific content. Click the import button. Under Current Jobs will be a new button stating to select the content; click it. Click on the arrow next to the term quiz and find the quiz. Place a check mark. Now click Select Content. 

Once this job runs, you can go to Quizzes and you will see the duplicate. Repeat as many times as you wish — choosing the new duplicate quiz and not the original. 

Quiz to banks 

Go to settings —> Export Course Content

Choose the Quiz radio button 

Create Export

Download QTI file

Now reload settings—> Import Course Content

Choose QTI

Find file

Select quiz

Run

Now the quiz questions are in a bank.

FWIW, I suggest to new teachers to start with the question banks. 

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
lph
Community Champion

Hi  @zellerk ‌

Here are are a few tricks:

Duplication

There is a clever trick to make a copy of a quiz, without exporting, downloading, and uploading. 

Go to your course, choose Settings then Import Course Content. Next to Course Content is a drop down. Choose copy a course. Select your current course. Do not copy everything. Instead, there is a radio button for Select specific content. Click the import button. Under Current Jobs will be a new button stating to select the content; click it. Click on the arrow next to the term quiz and find the quiz. Place a check mark. Now click Select Content. 

Once this job runs, you can go to Quizzes and you will see the duplicate. Repeat as many times as you wish — choosing the new duplicate quiz and not the original. 

Quiz to banks 

Go to settings —> Export Course Content

Choose the Quiz radio button 

Create Export

Download QTI file

Now reload settings—> Import Course Content

Choose QTI

Find file

Select quiz

Run

Now the quiz questions are in a bank.

FWIW, I suggest to new teachers to start with the question banks. 

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

dhartm
Community Member

The provided answer says how to make multiple copies of a quiz through an elaborate process, but does not explain how to move questions from one quiz to another.  Still seems like a severe weakness of Canvas.

prof_aro
Community Participant

In Blackboard one can copy a single question from one quiz to another very easily. In CANVAS there is no way to do that. 

JoulSmith
Community Member

This does not answer the original question, and that is because Canvas does not have that option, which is a huge setback for instruction and course organization. This is one of the handiest tools in Blackboard. You can't even create a question bank from former questions from an old quiz.

JoulSmith
Community Member

This does not answer the original question, and that is because Canvas does not have that option, which is a huge setback for instruction and course organization. This is one of the handiest tools in Blackboard. You can't even create a question bank from former questions from an old quiz.

Tags (1)

@JoulSmith  Since you may be relatively new to Canvas, you might not yet know that Canvas currently has two quiz tools, and the thread under which you've commented is specific to the process in Classic Quizzes, which is scheduled for deprecation. Instructors can make a copy of a New Quizzes assessment by following the instructions in  How do I duplicate a New Quizzes assessment?