cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
southamp
Community Member

Is there a way to rearrange items in a rubric?

Jump to solution

Once I create a rubric, is there a way to rearrange the items, or add items into the rubric, not necessarily at the end?

4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@southamp ‌ and  @rislis ‌, there isn't a way to do this in Canvas right out-of-the-box, but James Jones has written an easy-to-implement Canvancement that allows you to drag and drop rubric rows: Sorting Rubrics Made Easy 

View solution in original post

prescott_perez-
Community Member

Utter ridiculous that you can't re-order the Rubrics by row. I found questions that are 4+ years old asking for this basic UI functionality. Doesn't have to be drag-and-drop, could simply be a "move up/move down" button. Or they could sort by name so we could hack these by naming them with 01, 02, etc. in the title.

Thanks for pointing out that this is possible; someday I may try it. Can I suggest, however, that "possible" is not the same as "easy-to-implement?" I doubt many instructors will feel confident about a method that involves javascript. I guess what this does demonstrate even more is how easy it would be for Canvas to implement this feature.  

teacherjohnson
Community Member

A workaround if your criteria are out of order is to use the duplicate feature. 

Duplicate the criteria one-by-one so that they are added to the rubric in the order you want them (each duplicated criterion is added to the bottom of the rubric in the order you duplicate them). 

Then, after you have them in the order you want them, delete any criteria you no longer need.  That should do it.

18 Replies
rislis
Community Champion

I haven't found a way to do this. Rubrics in Canvas are AWESOME for grading - the creation of them still needs some work. Tip:  If you create an external tool assignment (like with a Google Cloud assignment), make sure you attach the rubric FIRST!  If you attach the external tool, the button for adding a rubric disappears.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@southamp ‌ and  @rislis ‌, there isn't a way to do this in Canvas right out-of-the-box, but James Jones has written an easy-to-implement Canvancement that allows you to drag and drop rubric rows: Sorting Rubrics Made Easy 

prescott_perez-
Community Member

Utter ridiculous that you can't re-order the Rubrics by row. I found questions that are 4+ years old asking for this basic UI functionality. Doesn't have to be drag-and-drop, could simply be a "move up/move down" button. Or they could sort by name so we could hack these by naming them with 01, 02, etc. in the title.

ondria_gadd
Community Member

I have to delete my entire rubric because I cant move items up and down to rearrange.  this seems like a simple update that would save a lot of time for teachers.  We often change rubrics from year to year.... why have to reinvent it when we could just tweak it?  Come on Canvas!

hakan_erdogmus
Community Participant

Another example of utter indifference by Canvas for something as basic as this. 

jonathan_potter
Community Member

I have to agree that it is completely absurd not to have this functionality. Really can't believe Canvas STILL doesn't have something so obvious as this. 

Thanks for pointing out that this is possible; someday I may try it. Can I suggest, however, that "possible" is not the same as "easy-to-implement?" I doubt many instructors will feel confident about a method that involves javascript. I guess what this does demonstrate even more is how easy it would be for Canvas to implement this feature.  

jlevendi
Community Member

What nonsense that this shows up as "solved." It is absurd that we can't reorder these items. 

teacherjohnson
Community Member

A workaround if your criteria are out of order is to use the duplicate feature. 

Duplicate the criteria one-by-one so that they are added to the rubric in the order you want them (each duplicated criterion is added to the bottom of the rubric in the order you duplicate them). 

Then, after you have them in the order you want them, delete any criteria you no longer need.  That should do it.