Create a single page, perhaps in my account, that can be shared to multiple courses

Jump to solution
MariahBirgen
Community Participant

I want to create a single About Your Instructor (for example) page in Canvas that I can have linked to in all my courses. This way I only update the page in one place and it is updated everywhere.

What I am doing now is creating the page in one course, but then I need to copy to every other course I am teaching. Then, if something changes, I have to edit the page many times. Or, even worse, when I copy a course from another term, then I have multiple versions of the page in my course.

I know I can have a file that does this in my account, but I am trying to eliminate clicks for the students.

I could create a web page hosted somewhere else, but that really defeats the purpose of keeping everything behind the student's passwords.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
stimme
Community Coach
Community Coach

@MariahBirgen If your institution has enabled the user profile page, you could use that as a single source for students to get information about you. How do I edit my profile in my user account as an instructor? Students can navigate to your profile (or to those of their fellow students) if your People link is enabled in your course navigation menus.

If you want to link to your profile, you can form the URL like this: https://canvas.[yourschool].com/courses/[yourcourseid]/users/[youruserid] When you copy content with this link between courses, Canvas should automatically change the value of the course ID so that the link continues to work without additional editing. Good luck!

View solution in original post

BrianLester
Community Contributor

Using the Canvas user profile would work fine but if you want to customize the page then an embedded Google doc might do the trick.

If you have Google workspace you could follow the directions below provided by Stef_retired:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-LMS-Blog/Using-Google-Docs-for-dynamic-Canvas-content/ba-p...

View solution in original post