cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
george_keel
Community Member

De-cross-list without anyone who is enrolled in original course after original course disappeared

Jump to solution

Hello,

I was hoping I did not have to go through the process of moving each student individually from one course to another course later in the program. 

• I googled "how to move students from one course to another in canvas"
  • The first link that came up said "Move a section of students from one course to another"
  • The link said "the process of moving the enrollment from one or more courses in another on Canvas is referred to as cross-listing."
  • I followed the six-step instructions, and everything appeared to work.
  • But then I noticed that the original course had completely disappeared.
  • No other teachers in the original course can see the original course anymore
  • After more googling, I found that the only way to solve this is to de-cross-link the original course.
  • But, I only see the option to re-cross-link the original course.
  • I found another canvas support page that said: "If you cannot view the De-Cross-List this Section button, you no longer have an enrollment in the original course. For assistance in de-cross-listing a section, please contact your Canvas admin."
  • I contacted our Canvas admin at our university, and she had never heard of cross-listing.
  • I walked her through the instructions for de-cross-listing, and she also could only see an option to re-cross-list
  • I then contacted our course administrator for both courses who was registered the course administrator in Canvas for both courses.
  • I walked her through the process over teams, and she also could only seen an option to re-cross-list.
  • So essentially in simply trying to move students from one course to another in an efficient way, I have managed to completely erase the original course to where no one else can see that it ever existed.
  • Is there anyone that can help me on this?

Many thanks for taking the time to read!

Best,

George

0 Kudos
1 Solution
george_keel
Community Member

Hello, we have found an expert at our university who somehow had administrative rights to the course who was able to de-cross-link the course. The situation is now completely resolved. Thanks o anyone who was in the process of looking into this!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
george_keel
Community Member

Hello, we have found an expert at our university who somehow had administrative rights to the course who was able to de-cross-link the course. The situation is now completely resolved. Thanks o anyone who was in the process of looking into this!

@george_keel ...

Great to hear that you were able to get this resolved with help from a Canvas admin.  Hope you don't mind my rather long reply about how cross-listing works.  😁

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning, @george_keel ...

I think I've followed your process that you've outlined above.  When you cross-list two or more courses together, you are essentially moving all enrollments (students and instructors) for each course into one course.  Before courses are cross-listed, it's important to decide which course you want all the enrollments to flow into.  (Let's call this the "parent" course.)  Then, the rest of the courses (let's call these the "child" courses) will be cross-listed into the "parent" course.

So, for example, if you had courses A, B, and C.  You were the assigned instructor for all three of these courses, and each course had the same content.  You wanted these three courses cross-listed together so that all enrollments appear in course A.  (If you, as an instructor, are not able to cross-list the courses yourself, then your school's local Canvas administrator can do this for you.)  You would start by logging in to course B, and then following these instructions (which are essentially the same):

As you are following these directions, you select course A (the one you want to cross-list to).  Once the cross-list is done, log in to course C and cross-list that one to course A.

Since cross-listing moves enrollments (not course content), it makes sense that you would no longer see courses B and C listed anywhere in Canvas (even though you were the instructor).  You would see course A on your Canvas Dashboard, though.  When you log in to course A, you could then go to:

• the "People" page of your course where you would see all your students separated out by course section.  You'd also see next to your name that you are enrolled in all three courses.
  • the "Settings" >> "Section" tab would list all three courses: A, B, and C.

Now, if you wanted to de-cross-list your courses...essentially returning things back to how they were originally...you would remain on that "Settings" >>" Section" tab, click on course B, and you should see the option to de-cross-list that course.  Rinse and repeat for course C.

Everything should then be restored...including seeing courses B and C again...along with the content.

Finally, let's say that courses A, B, and C (which all had the same content) had different instructors.  The cross-listing process is exactly the same.  Once you cross-list all courses, look at the "People" page, and each instructor will be listed along with the course that he/she is assigned to.

I hope this helps to clarify things for you.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!