cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I de-cross-list a section in a course as an instructor?

How do I de-cross-list a section in a course as an instructor?

If you cross-listed a section from a course, you may be able to cross-list the same section back into the original course. This process is called de-cross-listing and returns all student enrollments back to the original course section. However, once you de-cross-list enrollments, all grades and student submissions are removed from the course (since the course can no longer associate the information with any course enrollments). If you need to retain student grades and put them in the original course, you should export the Gradebook and import it into the original course before de-cross-listing the section.

Note: If you cannot view the De-Cross-List this Section button, you no longer have an enrollment in the original course. For assistance in de-cross-listing a section, please contact your Canvas admin.

Open Course Settings

Open Course Settings

In Course Navigation, click the Settings link.

Open Sections

Open Sections

Click the Sections tab.

Open Section

Open Section

Click the title of the section you want to de-cross-list.

De-Cross-List This Section

De-Cross-List This Section

Click the De-Cross-List this Section button.

Confirm De-Cross-Listing

Click the De-Cross-List This Section button. The section will be moved back to its original course.

Note: If you de-cross-list a section that includes student grades, Canvas will include a message that all grades will no longer be visible. If you need to retain student grades and put them in the original course, you should export the Gradebook and import it into the original course before de-cross-listing the section.

Comments

How do I de Cross list if I do not have that button?

@ktrue410 you'll need to contact your Canvas admin as you may no longer have access to the course or they may have changed settings or permissions for you account. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

- Nathan

So I just crosslisted my 2 courses too and now my 1 class has disappeared. That is not what I wanted to do!! I do not have the de - cross list button and my class starts in 10 mins. I tried to hit the X on the course and it says can not because students are enrolled. How was I able to cross list but not decross list?! That makes no sense. 

Good morning students

@Boatman80 

You've posted to the public Canvas Support Community.  I think you meant to post to your class?

I am an Instructional Coach and had a teacher cross link a course and when we look for the course to de-cross-list the class the entire class is gone.  What else can we do to find the missing cross-linked class?

Hi @Ktrettin,

When a course is cross-listed, it displays as a section for the course in which it was cross-listed into (aka: the parent course). So to find it, you'll need to open the course it was cross-listed into, go to Settings, and it should display in the Sections tab. Hope that helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out!

Naomi

Hi! I have a fellow teacher who mixed up 2 sections of classes.  We want to restore the sections back to the original sections.  Is there a way to do that? I see how to add a new section, but if I select the x /no pencil edit, will it allow me to move them to another section?

Hi @vanessamtz

I'm sorry to hear that there's been a mix up! I'm not quite sure how to help you. When you say that the instructor mixed up two sections and they want to restore them, does that mean the sections were created using the cross-listing tool? If so, you can de-cross-list the sections. However, de-cross-listing might affect student grades and submissions and you should back up the course gradebook before de-cross-listing. 

I'm not sure if this information is helpful. Please let us know if we can help any further.

Thanks, 

Allie

Mine only gives me the option to recross list them, even though they are already cross listed... anyone know why?

Hi @fishe111,

If you cannot view the De-Cross-List this Section button, you no longer have an enrollment in the original course. For help de-cross-listing a section, you'll need to contact a Canvas admin at your school.

Naomi

These comments are posted to the global Canvas Community,

NOT your Canvas course.

• Have a question about using Canvas? Visit the Q&A page.
  • Have an idea to improve Canvas? Visit the Idea Conversations space.
  • Need to reply to a course discussion? Log in to your Canvas course and add your comment there (Tip: Visit your school's website to log in to Canvas).
Version history
Revision #:
8 of 8
Last update:
Wednesday
Updated by: