Downloading Assignments with Instructor's Comments

Jump to solution
twoods2
Community Member

I have a student that is trying to download her assignments with her professor's annotations on the assignment itself (as it shows on the Canvas platform).

When she downloads the assignment, the annotations disappear. When I download them (as the admin), I can see the annotations. Are students not able to download their assignments with the professor's annotations?

I have attached an example of what I see when I download one of her assignments. Under the third paragraph there is a comment that says, "Less simple than the title". When I download her assignment out of Canvas, I can see that comment, but she cannot.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Solutions
nathanatkinson
Community Team
Community Team

@twoods2 that is a weird issue. Students should definitely be able to download submissions with teacher comments and annotations (see this guide  How do I view annotation feedback comments from my...)

It's possible the student is using a browser or device that's either blocking or not properly loading the annotations. Is it possible to have the student try downloading and viewing these on a different browser and/or device?

View solution in original post

Hello @twoods2 

I'm sorry that the student is having trouble downloading the submission with their instructors comments. 

• As per THIS guide, they should be able to to download a PDF of the submission and annotations. If they are using Chrome, they should be able to see the submission with the comments using the build PDF viewer. The PDF viewer does have an option to turn on and off the Annotations. I've included a screenshot of that. is that option turned off? 
  • If they are opening up the PDF outside of canvas, what program are they using? MS Word? Pages(Mac specific)? 
  • Sorry if this is a dumb question, just wanted to clarify...Do you know if the instructor used Speedgrader to add the annotations to the submission? Or did they add the annotations outside of Canvas?

If needed, you could always have Canvas support look into it. They will just need specific details such as a link to the assignment, the name of the student who was having this problem, and any screenshots that might pertain to what they are seeing and what you are seeing as an admin. 

-Colton 

Hello @twoods2 

Sorry it took me so much time to get back to you on this. 

It could be that Adobe Acrobat is not displaying them for some reason. I'm not sure if there is a setting in Acrobat that will only allow them to view certain types annotations. Is there an option for them to select View > Comment > Annotations? 

-Colton