Enhanced Assignments: Rubric Behaviour

Jump to solution
JosephSpink
Community Member

We've been looking into the Assignments Enhancements and have noticed a difference in the way Rubrics and Assignment Comments behave.

The assignment comments are now tethered to a submission, making the process of formative and summative assessment much clearer as you can give feedback on a specific version of an assignment allowing the students to resubmit and get clear feedback on the new submission.

Rubrics, however, seem to only display data on the most recent submission. When updating the rubric on the 1st submission edits are only displayed on the last, with the first submission appearing as blank.

Is this intended behaviour (as the rubric technically sits separate from the assignment point so isn't included in the enhancements) or a bug?

Labels (1)
1 Solution
cstrikwerda
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @joseph 

Thank you for posting in the Community.

Seeing the specifics regarding using Rubrics with Assignment Enhancements here:

• Updated rubric placement. In the initial work for this project, rubrics added to an assignment were included in a separate tab. We have updated the view to include the rubric as part of the assignment details so that students can simply scroll to view the rubric and their work. Given that rubrics provide critical information regarding the expectations for an assignment, it is important that students can easily view them and refer back to them as needed when completing their assignment. The new placement provides a more intuitive flow and when needed, students can collapse the rubric in order to maximize their work space. Also, when a student returns to the assignment to view feedback, the rubric will remain in the same location and default open with any scores and comments left by the instructor made visible to the student. 

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Basics-Guide/What-is-Assignment-Enhancements/ta-p/416679

By default, the Attempt drop-down displays your most recent submission attempt.

When a submission has been graded, the grade displays [2] and the Progress Tracker displays the Review Feedback status [3].

If multiple submissions have been added, they can be previewed by selecting the attempt from the Attempt drop-down [4].

If a rubric was used to grade the assignment, the completed rubric displays [5].

So to answer the question 'Rubric data only seem to display data on the most recent submission' I had to test to clarify further. When grading using a Rubric, the assignment enhancements allows us to grade per submission, and saves Rubric ratings for previous submissions.

When testing, I was able to toggle between my submissions to see the different Rubric ratings per submission. However, the most recently scored submission is the score that will be applied.

If I missed anything in my response, feel free to reach out in our user group for Assignment Enhancements for FAQ: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Assignment-Enhancements-Users/Assignment-Enhancements-FAQ/ta-p/39...

View solution in original post

0 Likes