Enquiry wrt "Only Students with a link"

Jump to solution
Brenda2525
Community Member

Under Files, I have set limited permission to students to view files. i.e. only student with a link.

My queries below:

1. How do the students get the link? Or where do I get the link for them? 

2. Is there any way to set an individual file folder for each student? So each student will view their personal files. And they can't see other peers' files?

Thank you very much!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @Brenda2525 ...

1. How do the students get the link? Or where do I get the link for them?

If you have a content page in your course, you can link to the file that you've essentially "hidden" from students in your "Files" screen.  Follow the instructions in this Guide...choosing a file that you've already uploaded to your "Files".

How do I create hyperlinks to course, group, and user files in the Rich Content Editor as an instruc...

2. Is there any way to set an individual file folder for each student? So each student will view their personal files. And they can't see other peers' files?

In your course "Files", you cannot create folders for each of your students and then make those files "private" only to them.  Instead, every user in Canvas (this includes you and all of your students) has their own personal "Files" space...which is separate from your course "Files" screen.

Does this help to answer your questions?  Please let Community members know if we can be of further assistance.  Thanks!

View solution in original post