cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmillner1
Community Participant

Formula answer generator

Is there an update coming from Canvas New Quizzes that will allow the formula questions to ONLY generate integers?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@jmillner1 -

Without seeing exactly what you want done, I cannot 100% answer your question. 

However for a formula question of  `x` + `y` = ?

for the values of x and y, I select the min and max values and then for decimal places I select 0 - which will then cause Canvas to use only numbers with 0 decimal places (i.e. integers)

Here is a large picture showing all of the above in new quizzes :

forumla_question.jpg

0 Kudos
jmillner1
Community Participant

I am speaking more to the answers being generated being restricted to integers only.  I understand that this would limit the number of options available to generate. 

An example would be x/2 + 3 = 7.  I have teachers only wanting x values in integer form, no decimals.  I can set the decimal to 0 but that just creates a rounding issue. 

0 Kudos

@jmillner1 

Okay.  With your example, I am at a loss as to how that would be put in Canvas.  X/2 + 3 = 7.  Are you saying that they want to put in  `X`/2 + 3 = ?  then have canvas generate X that is even so that the result is an integer not an integer or a .5 addition to an integer?

Ron

0 Kudos
jmillner1
Community Participant

I would actually generate values for all excluding x. That way students can solve for x. The problem is, you cannot generate values for the variables that make x and integer only. That is what my campus is wanting as an option. 

0 Kudos
MeganOHara
Community Member

I think what the OP is trying to say is that they want the final answer to only be an integer, for example if I wanted the formula to be `x`/2, I would only want the answer choices to be whole numbers. For instance it would be nice if we had the option to "choose only values of x that were multiples of 2" so that we could exclude decimal answers, or even if we had the option to generate a list and self exclude any that did not produce an integer answer.

0 Kudos
igustafson
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @jmillner1 

If you are still looking for help with this It would be best to look over the guide here for what values are allowed https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-create-a-Formula-question-in-New-Quizze... 

Regards,

Ian

0 Kudos
jmillner1
Community Participant

Yes, I am aware of this. I was just wondering if there would be a possibility in the future to be more specific in the answers. If I choose 0 decimal places it will give me an integer. However, that integer is rounded when the actual value would give a decimal/fractional value. I was just curious if I could set it up to only generate answers that come out to an integer without rounding.  Thank you for the help though.