Giving students extra time

Jump to solution
toms
Community Explorer

I have had nothing but trouble getting this to work. It really shouldn't be this hard.

1. I'm using the New Quiz module. 
  2. I set both the student's "due" time and "available until" time to accommodate their extra time (incidentally, why is there a separate "due" and "available until" settings at all? Why aren't they connected, such that if one is later than the other, it overrides the other??).
  3. I gave the student a time multiplier (2x) in the moderate section. It then indicated "Time: multiplied by 2" in the "accomodations" column
  4. the student informed me that it didn't indicate they had more time on their end.
  5. I then gave the student extra time in the moderate section. It then said: "Time: multiplied by 2; +2 hr 15 min"
  6. The student was kicked out of the exam by the system at the same time as everyone else.  So none of these adjustments worked at all.

Again, why is this so hard to get working??

0 Likes
2 Solutions

@toms @tbassuncw -

I agree that everything seems more complicated than need be.  I have not had problems with moderating quizzes - however, I only use Classic Quizzes and plan to do so until there is a compelling reason for me to use New Quizzes - fortunately all of my quiz questions are easily handled in Classic Quizzes.

My process (this may have to be different for New quizzes - I just don't know) is the following:

1) I have a quiz with a 30 minute time limit, so I set the available time and then put a due date/time at 40 minutes later (padding for when  a student can start).  I also use the due date/time as the until time - this setting is applied to everyone

2) I create another group for those students allowed extra time - the available date/time is the same as for everyone else, the due date/time and until date/time will then be 55 minutes later (for 1.5X students) and 70 minutes later for 2X students.  I then go into moderate for the quiz and moderate the quiz for those allowed extra time.

My guess is that the above is what you are doing as well, and if so, then there is definitely an issue.  

On a side note there is an LTI extension by UCF that I tried to get my admins to put into our instance of Canvas, but to no avail. https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Accessibility/UCF-Quiz-Extensions-LTI-now-Open-Source/m-p/162560#...

This extension allows you to set the moderate times for a student at the beginning of the class and then it is applied to all future quizzes automatically.  According to the page, it does not apply to New Quizzes, but they may have updated it.  Just thought I would throw that out there

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Hello,

Thank you for contacting reaching out with this concern. While the "Available from " and "Until" will lock quiz access to specific date/times you would need to go under "Moderate" in order to properly give students extra attempts, extra time, or open a quiz that is passed the original availability dates. I will include links for how this can be done through the New Quiz type and the Classic Quiz.

I hope that clarifies things a little more.

Thank you and have a great day!

Cassidy R.
L1 Canvas Support
support@instructure.com

View solution in original post