Google Drive (LTI 1.3) Sharing Outside the Domain

Jump to solution
sehamilton
Community Explorer

Hello!  Has anyone found a way to utilize the Google Drive (LTI 1.3) without completely opening the Google domain up for students to share everywhere?  There is some fear in our district about giving students carte blanche access. I  know you can whitelist specific sharing domains, but I'm not sure what domain would allow just sharing within Canvas.  Does anyone have a work around?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
JeffW
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @sehamilton 

The Google Drive LTI 1.3 is managed by Google. If I am not mistaken the sharing properties aren't exactly limited to Canvas users, but rather users within your organizations domain. I highly recommend reaching out to Google support since they develop and maintain that LTI. If you find out a definite answer from them, please feel free to share it here!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
marchermon
Community Explorer
Google Drive LTI 1.3 was only working at our High School and we were getting the "Can't share outside of our domain" issue as well for the Middle School and elementary schools. We spent a crazy amount of time trying to add various Canvas domains to our whitelist in our Google Apps setting until we realized that was just not going to be the solution. In the end we were able to come up with a solution that allowed the LTI to work across the district without reducing security on our Google Apps. I have attached a PDF of screenshots of settings we used to accomplish this. Hope it helps!

View solution in original post

0 Likes