Google Drive vs. Google Doc Cloud Submissions?

Jump to solution
englishskills50
Community Explorer

I notice there is an LTI cloud submission for both Google Drive and Google Docs. What is the difference, as far as Canvas is concerned?  Why would it need Google Docs if it already has Google Drive, which includes Google Docs?

(I know the difference between Google Docs and Google Drive outside of Canvas. I'm asking about the distinction specifically as it concerns the cloud submission functionality.)

1 Solution
rmurchshafer
Community Champion

Eric,

Google Docs is what I call a legacy integration and it pre-dates LTI.  I think it was built as a native integration before Canvas had LTI and It's has been around since I first started using Canvas in 2011.  It is limited to only submitting Google Documents.  The Google Drive LTI was developed more recently using LTI and allows for more features.  For instance, students can submit any file they have on Drive, collaborations will let you create Sheets, Presentations or Docs, and you can create Cloud Assignments.  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13063-how-do-i-create-a-cloud-assignment-with-a-google-driv... 

At my schools we had both integrations enabled until last summer when we turned off the Google Docs integration to avoid confusion and redundancy. 

Rick

View solution in original post