Gradebook point goals that differ from total available?

Jump to solution
MonicaDeming
Community Member

I have been requiring my students to do publisher's activities to reinforce the reading assignments in a intro level course. They do two a week and honestly - it seems like a lot. I would like to assign two a week for a total of 320 points but only require that they get 250 total points for this category. That would allow them the freedom to pick and choose a few that they are interested in (or have a bad day here and there where they don't do as well). 

I thought about just eliminating the lowest 5 submissions, etc, but that doesn't allow them to get cumulative credit for partial points on a few different assignments. 

This would be the only column in my course treated this way. Others require all assignments to be completed. 

Is there a way to do this? Am I missing the obvious? Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution
stimme
Community Coach
Community Coach

@MonicaDeming There is no way to tell Canvas that an assignment group has a fixed number of points possible (e.g. 250) when the several assignments in that group would yield a different number of points possible if all are scored (e.g. 320). 

Eliminating the lowest 5 submissions seems quite generous. There shouldn't be a scenario where a student's total score is harmed by removing lowest submissions. Canvas removes the assignments whose scores are having the worst effect on the point ratio for the group.

The only other way that occurs to me to provide cushion within an assignment group is granting extra points in an assignment with zero points possible.

View solution in original post