Gradebook takes forever to load

Jump to solution
RafaelFloriani
Community Novice

Hello,

I'm seeking assistance with an issue affecting my class with 5090 students. It can take up to 15 minutes to load the gradebook in Canvas. Despite my self-troubleshooting efforts and contacting my company's service desk, the problem persists. Here's what we've tested so far:

Tried wired Ethernet on both my home and work networks (both are fast fiber networks), but it still takes up to 15 minutes to load.

Used a different computer device, but the loading time remains the same.

Tried different browsers

I've concluded that the issue likely lies with the Canvas servers. Everyone on our education team is experiencing this problem. Since we use Canvas daily, these delays accumulate and significantly impact our productivity. I'm eager to find a solution to this ongoing issue.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @RafaelFloriani 

In our experience, the grade book really starts loading too slowly with any more than about 2000 users (depending on the number of grade columns, etc.).

If possible, you might consider breaking the students up into individual sections, then using filters to limit which sections are shown.  There are instructions on setting up and using grade book filters at https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-create-and-manage-filters-in-the-Gradeb... 

View solution in original post