Groups in Canvas

Jump to solution
goolsbyma
Community Member

I have 3 students all taking the same course but in different sections. How can I place these 3 students in a group in Canvas so that they may work together on a project for the class?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @goolsbyma ...

I tried this in my own sandbox course where I had two students...each in their own section.  I was able to create a group in my course so that they could both be in that group to work on a project.  Here are the steps:

1. Go to your "People" page and click on "+ Group Set".  You could name this group set the same name as the assignment project.  For example, you might call the group set, "Final Project".
  2. Your group set will appear as a new tab in your "People" page.  Make sure you have clicked on the name/tab of your new group set, and then click on the "+ Group" button.  Here is where you will be adding different groups within the group set.  For example, you might have groups named "Green Team", "Blue Team", "Red Team", etc.
  3. Next, add the students to each group within the group set.  You should be able to add both students (even though they are in different sections) to a single group...for example, the "Blue Team" group.

When you create your project assignment, as you are editing the details of that assignment, you'll want to make sure that you indicate that it is a group assignment.  Then, you'll be selecting the group set that you created in step #1 above.  For example, you might select the group set name "Final Project".  Canvas knows that your two students that are in different sections are in the same group within the group set.

I hope this will be of help to you.  Sing out if you have any questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes