Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frederik_vangom
Community Member

Hide parts of page content

Jump to solution

Hi!

Is it possible to hide, with the layout tools or with HTML, certain parts of a page so that students can't see it yet. 

I want to be able to create a page and keep certain parts, which are not yet final for viewing, hidden to continue working on later. I could, as a work-around, keep this parts in another page which is not online. But with multiple pages, where certain parts are in progress, this can become complicated.

If this is not a feature, maybe it's worth adding ?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@frederik_vangom -

Yes.  go into the html view mode.  at the point where you want to hide content, use the html comment start of <!-- then at the end of the area use --> to stop the comment.  This will keep the information from displaying.  Of course the students could always look at the page content in their browser and see the information that way (if they were so inclined or curious enough).

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@frederik_vangom -

Yes.  go into the html view mode.  at the point where you want to hide content, use the html comment start of <!-- then at the end of the area use --> to stop the comment.  This will keep the information from displaying.  Of course the students could always look at the page content in their browser and see the information that way (if they were so inclined or curious enough).

frederik_vangom
Community Member

Ah yes, off course. Commenting out the content is indeed an option. Thanks! Should have know that 🙂

Would be nice if it's a feature in the toolbar; to be able to select a region which makes it hidden also in html code.

@frederik_vangom -

You are welcome.  I did not think about that nice addition that could be added to a drop down.  I use it occasionally in a text editor I use for writing code.  

However, fortunately it is not too bad to go the html route.  The hardest part is finding where the comment section is to start and where it is to end.

frederik_vangom
Community Member

True!

0 Kudos
frederik_vangom
Community Member

Hi ! I need to come back to this because using <!-- and --> to comment out certain parts does not seem to be a fix for my issue. Using this code not only hides the content between these tags but deletes the content between those tags. It seems that when the HTML editor encounters these tags it removes the content in between. If you save the HTML editing and review the code again with the HTML editor, the code is completely removed.

@frederik_vangom -

Well that is interesting.  I don't think I tried it out in Canvas to see if the code was removed.  I do it occasionally in some other pages(outside of Canvas) I have for students to see and the comments work fine.  I just checked it out in Canvas and you are correct, Canvas strips out the comments.  Well so much for the simple solution.

0 Kudos
frederik_vangom
Community Member

Indeed! 😁 I think I'm out of options now .. I'm using a duplicate page now and edit this with HTML editor to add unfinished parts. When it's complete I copy/paste the complete page to Canvas.

I guess they left out the hiding tags for the reason you mentioned; it's still viewable in a browser in Developer mode.

0 Kudos