cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StephenHyatt

How can I un-bold text in a table in the syllabus section

Jump to solution

Hello,

The answer to the following question is not given in the Guide.

How can I un-bold text in a table in the syllabus section?

Regards,

Stephen

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
greydon
Instructure
Instructure

Hello  @StephenHyatt 

Thank you for contacting the Canvas Community. We're sorry to hear you've been experiencing issues with the typeface format  options in your syllabus. To unbold text in  your Syllabus (or elsewhere)  simply highlight the text with your mouse and click  the "B" above the text editor box to  un-do the bold text. You can also highlight the text and press CMND + B or CTRL + B depending on what device you are using for a shortcut to add or remove the bold text.

If your syllabus has not been typed out directly and is a file that has been uploaded (pdf, docx, etc) you will need to do this same process outside of Canvas and then re-upload the syllabus to Canvas. Hopefully this helps! 

View solution in original post

Thanks for providing all that code, @StephenHyatt.  I looked through it, but I couldn't pin-point what exactly was making the row for Module 1 be bolded compared to the rest of the table.  So, I took some time to re-create the table for you...hoping that this will work for you.  You'll want to replace the section of code for the table on your page with this code.  (Also, you might want to paste in just this code to a blank page in your course that remains unpublished so your students don't see it...just so you can confirm that it works on your end.)

<table style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 100%;" border="1">
    <caption>Course Outline</caption>
    <tbody>
        <tr>
            <th style="width: 10%;" scope="col">
                <h2>Module</h2>
            </th>
            <th style="width: 45%;" scope="col">
                <h2>Topics</h2>
            </th>
            <th style="width: 45%;" scope="col">
                <h2>Coursework</h2>
            </th>
        </tr>
        <tr>
            <th style="width: 10%;" scope="row">
                <h3>1</h3>
            </th>
            <td style="width: 45%; vertical-align: top;">
                <p>Course overview: Operations and Supply Chain Management</p>
                <ul>
                    <li>Production and Operations Management Overview</li>
                    <li>The SCOR (Process) Reference Model Overview</li>
                    <li>SC Risks Addressed in the</li>
                    <li>SCOR Model</li>
                    <li>Overview Qual Mgmt</li>
                </ul>
            </td>
                <ul>
                    <li>Class lecture</li>
                </ul>
            </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
                <h3>2</h3>
            </th>
                <ul>
                    <li>Inventory</li>
                    <li>Logistics, Distribution and Transportation</li>
                    <li>Optimization - Linear Programming using Excel&rsquo;s Solver</li>
                </ul>
            </td>
                <ul>
                    <li>Class lecture</li>
                    <li>Topical videos</li>
                    <li>Review of industry articles, reports, or case studies</li>
                </ul>
            </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
                <h3>3</h3>
            </th>
                <ul>
                    <li>Forecasting</li>
                    <li>Aggregate Planning, MPS, MRP, and ERP</li>
                    <li>Quality Methods: Six Sigma and Quality Tools</li>
                    <li>Scheduling</li>
                    <li>Process Design and Analysis</li>
                </ul>
            </td>
                <ul>
                    <li>Class lecture</li>
                    <li>Topical videos</li>
                </ul>
            </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
                <h3>4</h3>
            </th>
                <ul>
                    <li>From Project Management: Tasks (or activities) scheduling and Tasks (or activities) crashing</li>
                    <li>Global Sourcing &amp; Procurement</li>
                </ul>
            </td>
                <ul>
                    <li>Class lecture</li>
                    <li>Topical videos</li>
                </ul>
            </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
                <h3>5</h3>
            </th>
                <ul>
                    <li>Risk Management &amp; Decision Making</li>
                    <li>Risk Analysis and Tools Used</li>
                    <li>Risk Pooling</li>
                    <li>Final Exam</li>
                </ul>
            </td>
                <ul>
                    <li>Class lecture</li>
                    <li>Topical videos</li>
                </ul>
            </td>
        </tr>
    </tbody>
</table>

You'll noticed that the left-most column is only 10% of the table...and the middle and right-most columns are each 45% in width...for a total of 100%.  I did not use any "bold" formatting...as the accessibility checker detected that I didn't use a table header, so I just selected the option to use the top row and the left-most column...so that is why the text in those areas are larger than the other information in the table.

Hope this helps a bit!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
greydon
Instructure
Instructure

Hello  @StephenHyatt 

Thank you for contacting the Canvas Community. We're sorry to hear you've been experiencing issues with the typeface format  options in your syllabus. To unbold text in  your Syllabus (or elsewhere)  simply highlight the text with your mouse and click  the "B" above the text editor box to  un-do the bold text. You can also highlight the text and press CMND + B or CTRL + B depending on what device you are using for a shortcut to add or remove the bold text.

If your syllabus has not been typed out directly and is a file that has been uploaded (pdf, docx, etc) you will need to do this same process outside of Canvas and then re-upload the syllabus to Canvas. Hopefully this helps! 

Thanks for the quick response.

I tried all what you said with no changes to the text.

My syllabus is for the course SCMT.X406(8) (UCSC Extension) and the problem text that I cannot unbold is all that is in the first row of week #1.  If you can fix it then I appreciate it very much.

Regards,

Stephen

Hi @StephenHyatt ...

Maybe there is some rogue HTML code within your table that is not allowing you to fix the text that you are trying to change.  Have you considered running your page through a HTML cleaner website...in hopes that it will remove some of the unnecessary code from your page?  For example, you could use this site:

HTML Cleaner - Online Beautifyer and Word Converter (html-cleaner.com)

Basically, you would want to copy/paste the HTML from your page into the above site.  Then, click the button to "Clean HTML".  Hopefully, you'll see that there is less HTML...but the page still looks similar to how you designed it.  Copy/Paste that code back to your Canvas course page, and then try to manipulate the text again.

I also have a short write-up on this process which you can view here:

HTML Cleanup

Hope this might help a bit...good luck!

Hello Chris,

It appears that I do not have access privilege to cut and paste the HTML on the page source of the syllabus. I tried to change one of the commands manually but could not change anything.

You are right, there is a lot of junk - the original source has 687 lines, and the cleaned version has 412 lines.

Will ask the Extension group if there are resources for help.

Thanks and regards,

Stephen

@StephenHyatt ...

Hmmm...you don't have access to see the HTML side of your Syllabus page?  Do you have the HTML editor button below your Rich Content Editor...as described on this Guide?  How do I use the HTML view in the Rich Content Edi... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

Glad you were able to reduce the number of lines of code, though!  If the original content was copied from something like MS Word into Canvas, there's a decent chance that a lot of extra code was brought over...which could have been the cause of the original issue you described.

Hello Chris,

I still cannot unbold the first row of the table.  Checked the fonts and nothing is different from the rest of the table.

I will leave it as it is.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Stephen 

Hi @StephenHyatt ...

If you want...and if possible, you could copy/paste your HTML code from the table into a reply here as a reply, and then we could try and take a look at the code.

Or, if the table isn't too involved...have you just tried to re-create it entirely?

SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

@StephenHyatt  and @chofer 

Maybe I'm missing something, but when the first row of a table is designated as the "header row," it automatically appears in boldface.  "Header Rows" are part of accessibility. They are supposed to "stand out." See the attached image.

@StephenHyatt  - If your issue is beyond this, please post a screenshot.

@SusanNiemeyer ...

That's a great point, Susan!  Thank you for mentioning that!  Yes, it would be great to see the underlying code for the table to diagnose what exactly is going on.