cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zehao

Files in "Submissions" folder cannot be deleted

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am an instructor for a course. After accidentally creating a group assignment which was meant to be individual, there is now a "Submissions" folder in the Files tab on the group page, since a student already made a submission.

This particular folder has a padlock symbol at the bottom right corner of the icon. I cannot seem to delete neither the folder itself or the submissions therein.

I am wondering:

• Is there anyway to delete it?
  • Will other students in the group be able to view the submission by this particular student?

Any input will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
greydon
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @Zehao 

Thank you for contacting the Canvas Community. We're sorry to hear you've been experiencing issues with deleting the submissions folder in a group assignment. Based on everything you've explained - no, you can't delete that. Once students start making submissions the folder is there to stay. Your best bet is to duplicate the assignment and uncheck the group setting and then publish it. You may need to ask the single student to re-submit one more time, or download the submission and manually give them a grade on the new assignment. Hopefully this helps!

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-duplicate-an-assignment/ta-p/636 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
greydon
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @Zehao 

Thank you for contacting the Canvas Community. We're sorry to hear you've been experiencing issues with deleting the submissions folder in a group assignment. Based on everything you've explained - no, you can't delete that. Once students start making submissions the folder is there to stay. Your best bet is to duplicate the assignment and uncheck the group setting and then publish it. You may need to ask the single student to re-submit one more time, or download the submission and manually give them a grade on the new assignment. Hopefully this helps!

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-duplicate-an-assignment/ta-p/636 

Hi @greydon 

Thanks for your reply! I have already duplicated the assignment and changed the setting.

Do you know whether other students will be able to see the old submission on the group page? Or is it only visible to the instructors and the student who made the submission? Thanks.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @Zehao - If you rever the assignment to a standard assignment (not a group assignment), only the individual who uploaded should be able to see the item.