How do I Align gradebook with my First Day Handout?

Jump to solution
wanim719
Community Novice

Hi,

I am an instructor at Macomb and have a question.

How do I Align  gradebook with my First Day Handout?

Thank you.

Dr. Wani

1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@wanim719  

Ensuring that your gradebook matches your syllabus is important. Thank you for taking the time to check and make sure you do it properly. The students will appreciate it and you will be less open to grade-appeals.

Configuration of the gradebook is mostly handled through the Assignments page.

The assignments page is where you decide whether you want to use a weighted gradebook or a points-based gradebook. It's where you set up the assignment groups for weighting or for adding rules about dropping grades. It's also where you can change which assignment goes into which assignment group.

From the course settings page you can set up a course grading scheme so that students know what scores determine an A, B, C, etc, and they can see a letter grade instead of just a percentage.

You can set grading policies such as penalties for late work or automatically assigning 0's for missing work from the gradebook page.

There's also the issue of extra credit, which is difficult to do and even more difficult to do correctly in Canvas. There are posts in the Community about how to offer extra credit. I'm just pointing that out in case you need to be worried about it.

The Canvas Training course that we provide for our faculty has about five pages of information about how to set up a gradebook, so there's not a simple one-sentence answer to your question. I do not know if your institution has such a training course, but if they do, you may want to see what they have to say.

Here's a link to the Canvas Instructor Guide that has lots of information about how to use Canvas. I could have provided individual links to the things I mentioned above, but they all come from the Instructor Guide and there would be a significant number of links, many of which may not apply since you didn't provide details about how your syllabus says things will be handled.

View solution in original post