How do I upload an audio message for my students in the welcome video area WITHOUT a visual video?

Jump to solution
KerrinFORSYTHE
Community Novice

How do I upload an audio message for my students in the welcome video area WITHOUT a visual video?

0 Likes
2 Solutions
TrishaMeyer1
Community Contributor

You can use the recorder in the RCE with the video turned off. I think it just shows a black screen.

You also can use the Insert Media button to upload audio files that have no video component. An icon will appear on the page. Attached is an image from one of my courses.

I don't know of a way to have audio play without any sort of link to click on. Maybe someone else in the community has a different method.

View solution in original post

greydon
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @KerrinFORSYTHE 

Similar to what @TrishaMeyer1 has  already stated - there is a way technically but it depends on a couple things. Their suggestions are 100% correct and  you can do it by using the built in features with Canvas but the students will still need to click play etc. Do you have actual audio files such as WAV M4A FLAC etc? If you upload or embed those to an assignment or page, it should retain a small play/pause option with a loaded progress bar and that should essentially be it. If you don't have audio only files, then you'd need to convert them or use custom HTML or some third  party app to embed the audio only. There are many music courses (I've seen) that successfully have audio only but the file itself needs to be audio only. Hopefully this helps. 

View solution in original post