How to do double-spacing in text entry

Jump to solution
AngelinHo
Community Novice

One of my classes requires the proper MLA format for a text entry submission. After searching on the internet, I was unable to find a way to double-space my text. The TA of the course says that I should be able to but haven't given the directions to do so.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution
TrishaMeyer1
Community Contributor

Hi @AngelinHo ,

Your instructor (TA) is misinformed, as the Rich Content Editor (RCE) is Canvas is not designed to have the same functionality as a text editing program such as Microsoft Word or Google Docs. As far as I know, there is no built-in option to create double-spaced text with the RCE, for various reasons. Some of these reasons include:

• the text entry option is intended for short responses
  • text entries are intended to be read onscreen and are thus optimized for online viewing
  • Canvas is designed to adapt the viewing area based on the device being used; double-spaced text would not respond well to such adaptation

For proper MLA formatting you will need to use an external program and either embed or upload the file to Canvas. Many other elements of MLA formatting, such as <<last name page number>> in the upper right, are simply impossible to replicate with the Canvas RCE.

You will want to look at the tools menu of your RCE editor to see whether your institution has any integrations with other programs such as Google Drive or Microsoft 365. If so, you should be able to submit your assignment using one of those tools. If not, you may need to convert your document to a PDF and use the Insert->Document option.

You may find these Canvas Guides to be useful:

How do I add and modify text in the Rich Content Editor as a student?

How do I upload a document in the Rich Content Editor as a student?

How do I embed a file from Google Drive into the Rich Content Editor as a student?

How do I create a hyperlink from Microsoft Office 365 in the Rich Content Editor as a student?

View solution in original post